walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Each, Plan B

Beinn Each, Plan B

Postby iainR » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 09/06/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6.56 km

Ascent: 713m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following our Corbett bagging expedition near the Lawers Hills a couple of weeks ago Big Jie and i had a Munro day planned at Tyndrum but the weather forecast looked very unpredictable there with lots of thundery showers around so we set off earlyish after deciding on Meall Ghaordaidh due to it being relatively straightforward and supposedly escaping the worst of the weather at least until lunch time. Needless to say we got as far as the second field near the base of the hill when the heavens opened up complete with thunder and low dark clouds. Since there was next to no wind things weren't going to change anytime soon so after a quick discussion about the merits of heavy rain with thunder and lightning on the hills we turned around and headed back to the car. During my weather check earlier that morning i'd noticed the Callander area had a good forecast until late afternoon so with that in mind i suggested Beinn Each as Big Jie had yet to climb it and several years had passed since i had last been there.
Heading back south through Lochearnhead the skies were still relatively clear so a quick tramp up Beinn Each was most definitely on.
1 We didn't get much further__.jpg
We didn't get much further

By the time we set off for Beinn Each the sun was really beating down so the walk up through the forest to Glen Ample gave us a welcome period of shade and the general lack of rain had kept the path dry when we started up the hill.
We made good time despite the heat and 90 minutes after leaving the car we were on the summit having lunch and staring across at Stuc a' Chroin, a hill from a previous rain soaked adventure.
By now the clouds around Ghaordaidh and the Tarmachans were very dark and very low with thunder rumbling in the background and this weather was finally heading south as forecast, time to go. We made it down off the hill without incident but the rain was definitely closing in with the final stretch along Glen Ample walked under gray skies.
2 Path leading to Glen Ample__.jpg
Path leading to Glen Ample

3 Start of Beinn Each hill path__.jpg
Start of Beinn Each hill path

4 Towards Loch Lubnaig__.jpg
Towards Loch Lubnaig

5 Further up Glen Ample__.jpg
Further up Glen Ample

6 The final push to the summit__.jpg
The final push to the summit

7 Summit of Beinn Each__.jpg
Summit of Beinn Each

8 Stuc a' Chroin from Beinn Each__.jpg
Stuc a' Chroin from Beinn Each

Although Ben Ledi is my favourite hill in that area Beinn Each proved a good alternative when time and weather is limited plus it gave me a good look at Sgiath a' Chaise, the wee Graham i plan to climb on my next visit to Glen Ample.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Re: Beinn Each, Plan B

Postby Chris Mac » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 pm

Nice one Iain, we were just across from you on Meall an t-Seallaidh today, I tooks some good zoom shots of Beinn Each from it, looks great from there next to the two Munros!

You summed up this walk perfectly in a few photos, I'll need to ascend it again on the way to Stuc a 'Chroin as i've got that left to do in the middle of it and Ben Vorlich but i'm happy to do the ridge walk, even more so having seen it from the north today!
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Beinn Each, Plan B

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:46 am

Good plan B :thumbup: makes for a nice walk with a good view over to Stuc a'Chroin - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland