walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Moorbrock Hill, my final Donald after thirty years

Moorbrock Hill, my final Donald after thirty years

Postby Robertgee » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 am

Donalds included on this walk: Moorbrock Hill

Date walked: 07/06/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2018-06-07 @ 09-01-28.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Finally I was out to get my last Donald, Moorbrock Hill. This round was never planned, & must have taken me around thirty years! :shock:

I don't know the exact date of my first Donald, or even what that was. It was probably Dollar Law, or maybe my local, Tinto, sometime in the late eighties. I started my walking in the eighties climbing Munros when I got the chance, & enjoyed other low level walks & long distance walks, so not just climbing the hills. Over the years, I've done most of Scotland's long distance walks, as well as a couple in England. The Highlands were great, but my favourite area was the south of Scotland, namely, Dumfries & Galloway and the Borders. I started to keep note of the hills climbed sometime in the nineties, but never intended to aim to complete anything. Though, when my Munro count hit the nineties, I was keen to hit the 100 count. Then when doing a route in the Manor hills, during 2015, I met other walkers who told me they were doing the Donalds. This got me thinking, as I'd already done 60 of these, & I've no chance of completing the Munros. This was an achievable list for me to complete before I'm past it. :lol: So now three years later, I'm off to do my last.

Starting at Craigengillan in the Water of Ken Valley at 9 am, my car thermometer told me it was 18°C, so off to a warm sunny start. There's a no parking sign at the entrance to Moorbrock Estate, & nowhere else decent to park. So I just parked on the grass verge at the next passing place, not the best place, but for today, it'll serve my purpose. Took the track to Moorbrock Farm, then a left, after passing the last building, along the track heading straight for the hill.

03-Beninner, Moorbrock Hill and Windy Standard.jpg
Beninner, Moorbrock Hill and Windy Standard from track to Moorbrock Farm

07-Moorbrock Hill from Moorbrock.jpg
Moorbrock Hill from Moorbrock Farm

08-Mid Hill of Glenhead and Dodd Hill from Moorbrock.jpg
Mid Hill of Glenhead and Dodd Hill...my return route

I decided to keep following the track around Green Hill, rather than heading straight up Moorbrock Hill where the track turns left below it, (straight up looked just too steep & rough for me today, as it now felt boiling hot in the sun). :roll: The track, though a bit longer, was a much easier option. So in under two hours, I was at the top of my last Donald. For me, this was a very special occasion, & worthy of a true celebration. I'd brought a dram of Scotland's finest malt, so the celebrations could begin, but it was a quiet affair, as I never met another walker on the entire walk, never mind here on Moorbrock. In fact, I've never met any walkers during my last 12 Donalds during 2018. But no worries, I love it like this, got the whole place to myself...bliss. :D There's a great place to sit on some flat rock right above the cliffs of Moorbrock, just to the right of a large rock by the path about 100 yards short of the summit.

43-Water of Ken Valley from Moorbrock Hill.jpg
Water of Ken Valley from Moorbrock Hill

45-Alhang and Mid Hill of Glenhead from Moorbrock Hill.jpg
Alhang and Mid Hill of Glenhead

59-Celebratory dram for my completing the Donalds with Cairnsmore of Carsphairn in background.jpg
Let the party begin...Celebratory dram for my completing the Donalds

61-Beninner and Cairnsmore of Carsphairn from Moorbrock Hill.jpg
Beninner and Cairnsmore of Carsphairn

69-Blackcraig Hill and Blacklorg Hill from Moorbrock Hill.jpg
Blackcraig Hill and Blacklorg Hill

To continue, I decided to follow nxmjm's route, & follow round the hills taking in Keoch Rig, Mid Hill of Glenhead & Dodd Hill. A good path continues over Moorbrock Hill's north top & down to the col between it & Keoch Rig.

74-Windy Standard and Blacklorg Hill from Moorbrock Hill north top.jpg
Windy Standard and Blacklorg Hill from Moorbrock Hill north top

I cut to the right to see Luke's Stone. Then rejoined the path to Keoch Rig.

80-Mid Hill of Glenhead and Dodd Hill from Luke's Stone.jpg
Mid Hill of Glenhead and Dodd Hill from Luke's Stone

The path here is narrow & faint, so try not to lose it, as it's tricky to find again. If you're planning to follow this route, better to do as soon as possible, as it looks like Keoch Rig is soon to be the next victim to be destroyed in the wind farm wars. Here you will find one of those tall annomometer towers, used to record wind speed, the first stage in wind farm construction. When I first started my walking, these things hadn't been invented, now they look like taking over the whole country. :(

90-Beninner and Cairnsmore of Carsphairn from Keoch Rig.jpg
Beninner and Cairnsmore of Carsphairn from Keoch Rig

After Keoch Rig a good track leads towards Windy Standard. Here you'll meet a fence (electric), at a gate. Don't cross, but turn left heading up Windy Standard, where after a short walk you'll see the Deil's Putting Stone.

95-Bow Burn Valley and Dugland from Deil's Putting Stone.jpg
Deil's Putting Stone

Return to the gate, & stay on the right side of the fence, which will lead you to Mid Hill of Glenhead & Dodd Hill. Dodd Hill has a lovely little lochan right at it's summit, a very rare occurrence to be found in the hills

111-Mid Hill of Glenhead and Dodd Hill from Bawnhead.jpg
Mid Hill of Glenhead from Bawnhead

115-Water of Ken Valley from Bawnhead.jpg
Water of Ken Valley from Bawnhead

131-Moorbrock Hill from Dodd Hill.jpg
Moorbrock Hill from Dodd Hill

133-Alhang from Dodd Hill.jpg
Alhang from Dodd Hill

138-Dodd Hill's summit lochan.jpg
Dodd Hill's summit lochan

From here head southwest, rough going in places, to reach a track, which takes you over Glenhead Rig, & back to the start.

153-Keoch Rig, Bawnhead and Windy Standard from Glenhead Rig.jpg
Keoch Rig, Bawnhead and Windy Standard from Glenhead Rig

158-Moorbrock Hill from Glenhead Rig.jpg
Moorbrock Hill from Glenhead Rig

A fabulous walk & for me, right up there in my top ten, though maybe my dram had something to do with that. :lol:

Back at the car, the temperature reading told me it was 30°C...wow, what a day! 8) :clap:
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Re: Moorbrock Hill, my final Donald after thirty years

Postby iangpark » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:50 am

Congratulations - a completion long in the making (and a wonderful day for it as well). I loved Moorbrock when I did it almost exactly a year ago with the rest of the Aftons. Very shapely hills for the Donalds. I'm aiming for a Donald completion by 2019 but we will need to wait and see :D Had no idea about the Dodd Hill lochan. Cheers!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby PeteR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 am

Congratulations on the compleation :clap:

Moorbrock Hill is a good hill, although the I remember on the day that I did it my own personal adventure that particular day was only really beginning to unfold :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby iainR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:49 am

Well done Robert, glad the weather gave you the chance to make the most of it.
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:35 am

Congratulations :clap: Nice day for it too. Like you, I didn't plan on a donalds round either and started them as a "by product" of the corbetts but they turned out to be better than thought as they're mostly not too far away and many make for good, varied walks - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby thedonalds » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Well done sir. I recall doing Moorbrook some years ago and like you I started from the house at Craigengillan but a strange thing happened - I was hijacked by a small brown terrier dog! No amount of "Go home" or ignoring it had any effect whatsoever. I even stopped to check the map and all it done was trotted ahead and waited at the bridge. I suspect it must have hijacked others for a "free walk" before I came along. So me and said dog done Moorbrock then off the north end and back to Craigengillan via the forestry track and it didn't even mooch my sandwiches!
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Many congrats, like everyone else I never intended to tackle all the Donalds. I started visiting them over the winter months to keep up my fitness and I really enjoyed them. A spin off of the Donalds is I am now working my way through the Marilyns and only have a handful left east of the M74.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland