walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben nevis

Ben nevis

Postby mickeyboy57 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:32 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 09/06/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stayed at the glen nevis campsite set off at 06:45 headed up the path from the youth hostel the weather was good but thunderstorms were forecast for later......the path was busy as i believe loads of people do charity walks lots of people had t shirts on with their selected charities so i headed up the path i was doing it solo so no one to chat to lol......about halfway up i came across a group of english people who were pulling a paralysed guy up in a modified wheelchair now this was my first time and the higher you go the path becomes less of a path and more scree on the passing i congratulated these people on what they were doing...but their day would end in heartbreak as i will tell you in a bit.....anyway on i went towards the summit with the sky looking ominous then about 20 minutes later the rain started one man was putting his waterproofs on when i asked how far to the summit he told me about an hour so got the waterproofs out and the heavens really opened rain then hail then rain again....so i reached my goal but couldn't believe the difference in temperature my fingers were actually numb but absolutely worth it had a bite to eat change of clothes and headed back down.....now back to the group with the wheelchair on the way down the rescue helicopter appeared below me hovering so i guessed someone must be in trouble about 10 minutes later i met 2 people coming up wearing the t shirts from the group with the wheelchair to cut a long story short the guy in the wheelchair broke an ankle and didn't realise it with being paralysed until one of the group notice the angle of his foot so he had to be airlifted off....the people with him told me he had done Kilimanjaro in the wheelchair along with a sky dive....so i made it down ok with tired legs and happy i had done the highest in britain :D :D
mickeyboy57

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland