walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A River Runs Through It (Tamed)

A River Runs Through It (Tamed)

Postby Jokester » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Route description: Am Faochagach

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 10/06/2018

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 14.21 km

Ascent: 725m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Where to next? With the weather looking good for the weekend I needed to come up with a target. Reading around some of the other recent threads highlighted one by gld73 for Am Faochagach which according to the walk guide has a major river crossing, but his report stated that the water levels were low to make the crossing a lot simpler. Might as well make it easy on myself and do it now.

ImageIMG_0358 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

The weather wasn't great on arriving, light drizzle, low cloud and threatening to rain.

ImageIMG_0359 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Loch Glascarnoch's water level is extremely low.

Just before reaching the river the path appears to split in two, I take the left and reach the river and there is an obvious route across. Large sections is just dry river bed.

ImageIMG_0362 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0364 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Stepping stones.

This is the same point gld73 used for his crossing and the water level looks even lower today.

From there's a fairly obvious path upwards into the clouds.

ImageIMG_0367 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0369 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

A line of cairns marks the route down of the ridge line.

From there is a broken path leading off towards the summit and in the cloud I found I was having to refer back to map and compass to keep me on the right track but eventually I reach the summit.

ImageIMG_0370 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Time for an early lunch and a seat, though it did brighten up briefly the clouds never cleared, so after 20mintues it was time to turn round and head down. Taking a compass bearing to make sure I was heading in the right direction within a minute of walking I come across another couple coming up, phew heading in the right direction!

ImageIMG_0373 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

The waterfall.

This time, I make a bee line for the car and again, crossing the river is trivial, the map shows I crossed at an island, but the second bit of the river is completely dry.

ImageIMG_0375 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0376 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

From there, it's a simple trudge back the car park.

ImageIMG_0377 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

Loch Glascarnoch again.

Would recommend this route whilst the weather continues to be dry, other boggy areas were also very dry, with only one area (marked Drochaid a' Ghlas Thuill on the map) that required careful routing.
Attachments

Track 029.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Re: A River Runs Through It (Tamed)

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:59 pm

I was there last week. What a difference in the river. I'm not sure what the river is like normally. I've been there before and don't really remember the river crossing. The only rock that was not fully submerged was the big rock in the photo in dogplodders report. - I can't seem to link it.
Last week when I was there the river was impassable though I did try. :roll:
For anyone using this route it is a serious river. :shock:
Sunset tripper

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland