walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean via corrie

Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean via corrie

Postby U059361 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 06/06/2018

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1435m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When I arrived at the car park I was engulfed in midges so got ready as fast as possible to escape them. I must have looked strange getting my boots on in the middle of the car park where there were fewer of them while wiping my hands all over my face to clear them off. Ever so glad to get walking away.
I varied this walk slightly to walk into the Coire a' Bhinnein rather than go up Sgor Eilde Beag as I wanted to see just how high Binnein Mor really was and what the path was like to Binnein Beag. I was severly tempted to climb Sgurr Eilde Mor while doing so but I didn't want to add another hour at least to a long walk that would push me getting home beyond 7pm. I also like walking into and up out of big corries so I chose to miss the view over the lochan as I'd see it further up.
As I approached the mid point of the ridge I became aware that cloud was forming on the other side of Binnein Mor and I had visions of the top disappearing altogether so that got the pace up as I raced to the top. Had to deal with clouds of long legs though, which seemed to get worse the higher I went and other insects joined in. Didn't need to worry though as it cleared and I got great views all around eventually as I ate my lunch. Couldn't hang around for the promised blue sky in the weather forecast as my timings said I had to move on and the bugs were overwhelming. Over on Na Gruagaichean it continued to brighten up till I was in sunshine all the way down back to the car park. It is a steep descent and I aimed for the path and track junction once I could see it. Met a group of people from USA who had no idea how to get back to town. They were lucky to meet me, no one else was around. I directed them down the path. They seemed doubtful till I pulled out my print out of the walk from this site. I carried on down the path after having a blether leaving them to decide whether to follow me or not. It was hot now and I was glad to get back to the car. I didn't get changed, just threw my stuff in and left the place to the midges. I got changed at Glencoe village car park where I could wash my hands and face too.
ImageSgurr Eilde Mor across Coire nan Lochan by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBinnein Mor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageNa Gruagaichean by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBinnein Beag from Mor top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSgurr Eilde Mor from Mor top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageRidge to Na Gruagaichean by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageNa Gruagaichean from bealach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageNa Gruagaichean top to Binnein Mor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageKinlochleven from Na Gruagaichean by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBinnein Mor and Eilde Mor loch by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBinnein Mor and Na Gruagaichean from descent by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageKinlochleven from descent by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLoch Leven by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Binnein Mor, Na Gruagaichean via corrie

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:18 am

Nice. clear conditions - hoping to get back some time having seen little in the clag previously - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland