walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CULTER FELL & GATHERSNOW HILL

CULTER FELL & GATHERSNOW HILL

Postby magicdin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:33 pm

Route description: Culter Fell circular, near Biggar

Fionas included on this walk: Culter Fell, Gathersnow Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Culter Fell, Gathersnow Hill

Date walked: 06/11/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 850m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After concentrating my recent walks in the Arrochar/Loch Lomond area I was ready for a wee change of scene.
The weather forecasts were a bit mixed but it did look promising for the southern uplands.
Not an area I know too well so set my sights on two Grahams Culter Fell and the great name of Gathersnow Hill.
Left Dumbarton just after eight o'clock in smirry rain.
Strange to be heading south for a change and to be speeding to the hills on a motorway.
The rain continued all the way through Glasgow and further south to Lanark area.
However I could see a definite brightening in the sky to the south and soon enough had a sight of Tinto totally clear and bathed in sunshine.
Made good time down to Abington and turned east towards Coulter and along to Culter Allers farm to park up.
Booted up and away just after 9.30, the first wee bit on tarmac until starting up the ridge of Fell Shin.
A bit muddy lower down on a track which leads up steeply past stone grouse butts.
At the 550 metre level the slope eases and it is a pleasant walk towards the rounded summit.
SAM_2464.JPG
Looking down Fell Shin to start

SAM_2465.JPG
Tinto

SAM_2466.JPG
Approaching Culter Fell

SAM_2467.JPG
Trig Point with King Bank Head beyond

Reached the Trig Point in just over the hour.
The early morning sunshine had disappeared and now a bit raw so jacket and hat on.
The next part of the walk just follows the line of a fence down over Moss Law to Holm Nick
Very boggy and wet underfoot,moorland walking reminiscent of the Luss Hills.
The weather unfortunately was now closing in with cloud coming over from the south.
Coulter reservoir
SAM_2469.JPG
Looking over Moss Law to Gathersnow Hill

Took a direct line up towards Gathersnow Hill on a very green mossy slope.
I suppose that this is where the Snow Gathers.
Reached the wee cairn next to the fence in thick mist,checked position on GPS to be sure.
The cloud closing in took away any notion I had of wandering on the moorland to some of the Donalds I had marked on my map.
Took a direct line down to the reservoir,saw six figures dropping down from Culter Fell
SAM_2470.JPG
Reservoir

SAM_2471.JPG
Cloudy Culter Fell

Enjoyable walk down by the reservoir and back along the road - with a bit of rain

Went in to The Mill Inn for a pint - Atlas Wayfarer - nice pint and a nice pub :D
The drive back up the road was in torrential downpours

Enjoyed my wee trip down to this area - maybe not the most dramatic walking - but very pleasant scenery
Pity the weather changed

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Re: CULTER FELL & GATHERSNOW HILL

Postby magicdin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:57 am

did this walk on saturday :think:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Re: CULTER FELL & GATHERSNOW HILL

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:55 am

I did these two on 2nd January there, just before the storm rolled in on the 3rd, and actually I was luckier with the weather :) so carried on to the two Donalds. Got some nice pics & hope to put a walk report in, but no photies as good as your one of Coulter Reservoir which is a cracker :D ! It is a surprisingly scenic area right enough.
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland