walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Melting on Ben Challum!

Melting on Ben Challum!

Postby Brendanw » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 02/06/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 956m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben-Challum-near-Tyndrum.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was only my second hill walk of the year after last week’s Ben Lui and Xxxxx which left my legs destroyed for days! Given that I was planning a week of munros, I decided to start with something relatively easy. What I hadn’t bargained on was the weather. And, unusually for Scotland, I’m not talking about bad weather - it was boiling hot!

The walk started on the side of the busy A82 and up through a road, past a farm house and graveyard, over a railway line and then a long, mostly pathless, steep ascent through grass land. And the heat was almost unbearable for the whole ascent. On the plus, the weather for the last 2 weeks meant that the many boggy parts were pretty easily crossed.

Ben Challum_001_IMG_1981_2048nc.jpg
Heading down towards the farm

Ben Challum_002_IMG_1986_2048nc.jpg
Heavy traffic as the route starts to rise...

Ben Challum_003_IMG_1992_2048nc.jpg
It's a hill with a lot of stile.....

Once up this relentless grassy slope, the landscape changed from field-like slopes to something more akin to a mountain landscape and the target, or what I thought was the target, loomed ahead. The path up the shoulder of the mountain became clealer if no less steep, but there was a sting in the tale - a false summit! And not just a “it’s just over that next hill”, there was another mile to go! In fairness, I could have seen this from map, but hope cruelly prevailed. It actually turned out to be the most interesting part of the walk, with dips and rises in and out of beallach and then a nice enough final pull to the top, which offered great views across to Ben Lui and the surrounding hills.

Ben Challum_004_IMG_1995_2048nc.jpg
Looking back towards Ben Lui and friends

Ben Challum_005_IMG_1998_2048nc.jpg
Made a wee pal en route up

Ben Challum_006_IMG_2009_2048nc.jpg
Finally, the top is in sight...or so I thought

By this time though, I was hot as hell and thought I’d take a breather and get some lunch. The summit, as with much of the walk up, was hoaching with daddy long legs so I descended slightly and sat down.

Ben Challum_007_IMG_2020_2048nc.jpg
Final approach to the summit

Ben Challum_008_IMG_2024_2048nc.jpg
Usual summit selfie

Ben Challum_009_IMG_2030_2048nc.jpg
Edgey

Literally seconds after I did though, I saw and heard the rain approaching and threw the waterproofs on quicker than you could say “****, it’s raining! And boy did it come down in buckets. But as quick as it started, it was over again and the waterproofs were off again.

Ben Challum_011_IMG_2050_2048nc.jpg
Got a right good soaking from a passing thunderstom

The decent down the grassy slopes was a trudge and the temperature had jumped again meaning I was really overheating.
Brendanw
Hill Bagger

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Melting on Ben Challum!

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Nice day for it despite the shower :thumbup: Always amuses me how we want it hot when it's cold then cold when it's hot and I'm as guilty as anyone :lol: Re the daddy long legs, there seems to have been an abundance of insects this year; had clouds of may flies appearing regularly on recent hillwalks - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Melting on Ben Challum!

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:48 am

Had similar experience on Ben Challum in May 2015 when my pal almost expired from the heat and we had to rethink plans for the next day. Your photos bring it all back. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland