walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Foot and camera conundrum II - Lewis whistlestop tour

Foot and camera conundrum II - Lewis whistlestop tour

Postby denfinella » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Date walked: 23/05/2018

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 1 km

Ascent: 10m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

<< previous day: Harris Eagle Observatory

An injured foot and a broken camera had been threatening to disrupt our much-anticipated Harris holiday, despite perfect weather. Tuesday evening was the low point - it was still painful for me to take more than a few steps, and it seemed increasingly unlikely that we'd find somewhere on Harris to get it fixed before a trip to St Kilda the day after next. That evening I did some research on my phone about troubleshooting the camera problem - it soon became apparent that the problem was probably unfixable and we'd need to buy a new camera at some point in the future anyway. Then I had an idea - why restrict ourselves to Harris? A quick google search revealed that Stornoway on Lewis (perhaps surprisingly) had an Argos. Not only that, but the store had 1 digital camera in stock and even on special offer - the upgraded version of our current camera. An unwelcome and unexpected expense, but with the old camera permanently broken it made sense to drive to Stornoway to replace it. In addition, there was plenty to do on Lewis which didn't involve walking, which was good news for my foot.

So Wednesday morning began with an early start and hour's drive to Stornoway - which felt like a metropolis with things like trees, roundabouts and a Co-op :lol: . Picked up the camera with no issues - minor panic when the (charged) old camera battery didn't fit into the new camera - fortunately a new camera battery was included and partially charged, so ready to use immediately. It was still only 9.15am, so with a whole day ahead of us we decided to head west to a few beaches and some of the famous historic sites on Lewis. First stops: three beaches near Valtos. Like on Harris, it was striking just how quiet these were: we were alone on the first two beaches, and there were only a handful of others at the massive Traigh na Beirigh, which has a caravan site adjacent. We saw eagles at two of these beaches, after seeing none at the Eagle Observatory yesterday.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

In the afternoon we paid a visit to the busier Callanais Stones (as well as some other stone circles nearby). The new camera battery needed a proper charge by now, and the man at the visitor centre kindly let us use a plug while we looked around the museum.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Next up, Dun Carloway, a highly impressive broch:

11.jpg

12.jpg

With a dinner reservation in Tarbert (Harris) not until much later, there was no particular rush to drive back, but we started heading back south, stopping at the Memorial to the Heroes of Lochs on the way - Lochs being the name of the crofting region at the centre of a land dispute.

13.jpg

My foot was also feeling much better by this point, and I was almost able to walk normally. There was time for one more stop at Aline Community Woodland, where a neat little boardwalk trail visits a nearby lochan. The route map's hardly even worth posting:

Aline Community Woodland.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On the boardwalk there were several hairy caterpillars, along with another eagle soaring over the trees and a noisy cuckoo calling from somewhere nearby.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Heading back to Harris we were able to reflect on a very enjoyable day on Lewis, and we were now equipped with a new camera ready for St Kilda the next morning! Tune in for the next episode...

>> next day: St Kilda
Last edited by denfinella on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:66   Corbetts:34
Grahams:23   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:61   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45

Re: Foot and camera conundrum II - Lewis whistlestop tour

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:38 pm

It's a great area to explore especially when you get such good weather. A few decades ago I spent two weeks walking most of the way from Stornoway to Castlebay (with ferries in between) - was lucky to get only two days of rain and have been wanting to get back ever since - my better half is also interested so may yet manage it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Both bad and good camera luck. Some beautiful scenery there.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:27   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby denfinella » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 pm

rockhopper wrote:It's a great area to explore especially when you get such good weather. A few decades ago I spent two weeks walking most of the way from Stornoway to Castlebay (with ferries in between) - was lucky to get only two days of rain and have been wanting to get back ever since - my better half is also interested so may yet manage it - cheers :)

Hope you get there again! Everywhere is better with sunshine :lol:

litljortindan wrote:Both bad and good camera luck. Some beautiful scenery there.

All worked out OK in the end :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:66   Corbetts:34
Grahams:23   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:61   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:45

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland