walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My new favourite mountain ;) - exploring Applecross

My new favourite mountain ;) - exploring Applecross

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhan, near Kishorn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan

Date walked: 18/05/2018

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video :

A long weekend and the weather had been glorious, so I packed my gear (and kayak) and headed for the northwest highlands! I was due to be meeting up with Gerry to tackle Slioch via Kayak on the Monday so had the Corbett book out looking for some hills I had yet to climb. Immediately I was drawn to my remaining Applecross Hill – Bheinn Bhan….

I had always fancied climbing here and the hill looked good and the weather superb so I decided it was time to get this one in the bag! Unlike the other Corbett in Applecross , I decided not to cheat (joke!!) and started at sea level and the start of the famous Bealach na Ba road. Last time I had driven to 2000 feet and easily bagged Sgurr a’ Chaorachain (my wife even accompanied me some of the way on that trip!!). However starting 2000 foot further down the mountain meant today was going to be a tad more challenging! The weather was perfect or hiking – it was sunny, a little breeze and the temperature was reading about 14 degrees at sea level – not too warm (unlike my trip here the following week with Thomas Heaton)!

I set off along the well-constructed stalkers path and after a few kilometres soon branched off and started to head uphill headed for the small lochan. The views to this point were good with the Torridon hills starting to show themselves. However as I reached the lochan the true grandeur of this mountain revealed itself! Similar to Ben Nevis , one side of this hill slopes gently down to sea level, whilst its eastern side holds some of the most dramatic scenery in Scotland! I was blown away by the views and as I skirted the lochan I found a cracking private beach!! I was starting to hatch a plan for my adventure the following week !

ImageMountain Beach by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageMountain Lochan by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBeinn Bhan by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

From the lochan, I headed into the Corrie and to be honest I couldn’t see a weakness to get up the steep headwalls! However I kept the faith and soon started up a steep grass slope which eventually took me to the mountains magnificent plateaux. Some snow still held onto the Corrie rim and care was required to get past this, a slip here would have serious implications!

If I thought the views of the eastern cliffs were good, I was amazed to find the views from the plateaux were even better! The high mountains of the NW highlands lay before me and the crowning glory lay to my south west with the Isle of Skye and other islands of the inner Hebrides lying before me. The sun sparkled on The Minch and I was in heaven!!!

ImageThe Cuillin Ridge on Skye by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageScrambly Ridge on Applecross by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The breeze was lovely and I sat at the summit for a good while enjoying the views. Not wanting to leave , I eventually dragged myself away from the summit, but the walk back was just as good as the walk in. The views down the south of the hill were just as stunning!

Eventually I got back to the car and immediately started on my next adventure – The Bealach na Ba Road……. And a lovely picnic spot for some evening Tea 

ImageIsle of Skye from Applecross by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageSkye Cairns by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Note – the following week was glorious, and a bank holiday weekend. I chose this hill to go on a three day wild camping adventure with Thomas Heaton. If I was blown away by this mountain on this trip, it was about to get eclipsed a week later!
wilkiemurray

Re: My new favourite mountain ;) - exploring Applecross

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Some of your fantastic trade mark photos there. Never did that way, as went with 2 left boots and when matched up, only had time from a Bealach nam Ba ascent (but our friend went back and did it the "proper" way with his partner another year,).
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:16 am

That looked good - great photos as ever. :thumbup:
Yet to get to the corbetts here but suspect I'll take the easier way out :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gld73 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:51 pm

I had a great couple of days in Applecross in April, and was really impressed with Beinn Bhan too - easily as much ascent as most munros, but done by far fewer people just because it's not a munro! Cracking views in every direction from the top. I did Beinn Bhan on day 1, then drove over the Bealach na Ba and down to Toscaig to do the walk to Uags bothy for my overnight stay; day 2 was walking back to the car, driving back over the Bealach na Ba, stopping to go up Sgurr a’ Chaorachain from the high car park, then heading back home. 2 corbetts and a bothy stay, a nice couple of days away :D

My photos aren't up to your standards though!! :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:49 am

Simply stunning :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:20 am

Sgurr wrote:Some of your fantastic trade mark photos there. Never did that way, as went with 2 left boots and when matched up, only had time from a Bealach nam Ba ascent (but our friend went back and did it the "proper" way with his partner another year,).

Thanks Sgurr - sounds an interesting hike with 2 left boots on! Wonderful place up there , must get back again soon:)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:21 am

rockhopper wrote:That looked good - great photos as ever. :thumbup:
Yet to get to the corbetts here but suspect I'll take the easier way out :wink: - cheers :)

they are well wort keeping for good weather days - the views are stunning :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 am

gld73 wrote:I had a great couple of days in Applecross in April, and was really impressed with Beinn Bhan too - easily as much ascent as most munros, but done by far fewer people just because it's not a munro! Cracking views in every direction from the top. I did Beinn Bhan on day 1, then drove over the Bealach na Ba and down to Toscaig to do the walk to Uags bothy for my overnight stay; day 2 was walking back to the car, driving back over the Bealach na Ba, stopping to go up Sgurr a’ Chaorachain from the high car park, then heading back home. 2 corbetts and a bothy stay, a nice couple of days away :D

My photos aren't up to your standards though!! :lol:

indeed - not bad for a few days away - sounds like fun :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:23 am

spiderwebb wrote:Simply stunning :D :D

it was - I was blown away by this place - an absolutely beautiful mountain
wilkiemurray

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Wonderful! I was completely unaware of this gem, and it's now in the premier division of my to do list!

BTW I was in the Brecon Beacons last week and bumped into a couple of guys who, like me, are keen Steaming Boots videos aficionados! Your fame is spreading :clap: .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 pm

That first picture is stunning. I've seen Bhan from a number of perspectives but not from the beach. It's Martin Moran's favourite mountain too. Some grand climbs up the east side I believe
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Auld Bagger » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:25 am

Just back from walking Beinn Bhan at the weekend (3rd June 2023). I walked this in a clockwise direction following walkhighlands route. Hats off to you for ascending that grass slope. That was tough enough going down for the old joints never mind ascending it. Your description of it being like Nevis is spot on.
Auld Bagger
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:164
Fionas:7   Donalds:16
Islands:3

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland