walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Highland fling, bells and flags in cow pat alley

Highland fling, bells and flags in cow pat alley

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Route description: West Highland Way 4: Inverarnan to Tyndrum

Date walked: 28/04/2018

Distance: 19 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As we started off from Beinglas Farm a man emerged from the buildings and asked rather seriously if we knew this was the day of the Highland Fling race. We said we didn't. For a moment I thought he was going to say that because of this we couldn't walk today but he apparently just wanted us to know. So now we knew. 8)

More than 800 runners were starting from Milngavie at 6.00. It was now just after 9.00 so it would be a while before the front runners caught up with us - or so we thought.

Heading north along Glen Falloch
IMG_5549-largec.JPG

The oak, birch, ash and alder found growing in Glen Falloch is the remnant of ancient semi natural woodland once cultivated here. The trees were harvested every 24 years for timber and charcoal and also for bark used for tanning leather. Now measures are being taken to keep livestock and deer out to allow the woodland to regenerate - hence the importance of closing gates behind us!

Looking back to what must be Ben Vorlich
IMG_5550-large.JPG

One of several burn crossings
IMG_5551-large.JPG

Easy walking alongside river
IMG_5554-large.JPG

River Falloch
IMG_5555-largec.JPG

Looking back to large building down on the right
IMG_5556-large.JPG

Presence of calves made us glad of fence between them and us
IMG_5557-large.JPG

IMG_5560-large.JPG

Somewhere between the cows and the sheep creep I heard what sounded like "Jack" shouted behind me. As I wondered why someone was calling my old dog the first of the runners appeared and I stepped off the path to let him past. He'd been shouting "Track" as a warning he was coming through and I guess that's one of the tactics that makes you a winner! We heard later he finished the race in 6 hours 41 minutes - that was 53 miles over some rough terrain in 6 hours 41 minutes. But I take my hat off to everyone of them who completed that race, no matter how long they took. :clap:

Path emerging from sheep creep under railway
IMG_5561-large.JPG

Next obstacle to negotiate was the A82 where a tunnel was provided to keep walkers off the busy road.

Path emerging from tunnel under A82
IMG_5562-largec.JPG

Looking across the farmland I could see our approach route to An Caisteal, with my grandson Jonny on his first Munro.

Happy memories
IMG_5565-largec.JPG

The next section of track went through an area grazed by cattle so was a slurryish mix of churned up mud and cow poo. We went up the bank on the left to avoid the worst of it but that wasn't much better as I guess the cattle went up there too. It was reading someone's comment about this section made me decide to put gaiters on and not to bring my dog (the presence of the cows, not the mud, which she would have loved). How the runners got on is anyone's guess. One guy I saw came very gingerly along. :shock:

Once clear of cow territory the track was good again. I stopped to wait for Moira beside a refrigerated chest with honesty box and when someone else lifted the lid I spotted sparkling water and couldn't resist. So my pound coin went in the honesty box (everything was £1) and that chilled sparkling water was so wonderful I would happily have paid more. Great idea but I think it was only there because of the race. Then we reached a check point for the runners. It was these guys who told us we'd just come through cow pat alley. :eh:

Moira's time about to be taken
IMG_5566-largec.JPG

IMG_5567-large.JPG

At certain points supporters of the runners were allowed to be beside the track handing out bottles of water and encouraging them on. We were approaching one of those points and it did make it quite special to be welcomed with clapping, bells and flags even thought we knew they weren't for us!

Flags at WHW half way point
IMG_5568-large.JPG

The three ladies we started with the day before at Rowardennan were heading down to Crianlarich for lunch but we had ours with us so continued up the path to find a rock to sit on. When my brother saw the photo on facebook he said I was sitting on the exact same rock he had sat on for his lunch on what just happened to be his birthday 10 years earlier. It had been my birthday the day before. What were the chances of that happening? :-P

A handy rock for lunch
IMG_5570-largec.JPG

Runner above my left shoulder heading northwest for Tyndrum (M's pic)
31417092_10156262700898788_2284836367691552648_n-large.jpg

The path climbed steeply from here into an attractive area of woodland to reach a picnic bench with great views back towards the Crianlarich hills.

Zoomed to Ben More, Stob Binnein & Cruach Ardrain
IMG_5571-largec.JPG

From further up
IMG_5572-largec.JPG

From this point on more runners were appearing and as we neared Tyndrum we were stepping off the path to let dozens through at a time. All were very polite and those who had energy to speak said they were feeling pretty rough, which isn't at all surprising. :eh:

A runner between Moira and me
IMG_5573-largec.JPG

Ben Challum
IMG_5574-largec.JPG

Near to the crossing point over the A82 (where we had stewards to get us safely across) I got chatting to a couple of guys who were doing part of the way heading south. They were camping using hammocks so rather than looking for a place suitable to pitch a tent they were looking for trees suitable to hang hammocks from. I asked what happens if it rains. No problem, they said. They had tarps.

IMG_5576-largec.JPG

Once safely over the road we were soon at the bridge over the River Fillan where we had started a climb up Ben Challum on a roasting May day a few years back.

River Fillan
IMG_5579-largec.JPG

We passed St Fillan's Priory and the graveyard dating from the 8th century and headed on for the wigwams at Auchtertyre Farm, where we thought about using the shop but resisted. Then it was through an underpass and along the River Cononish with views through the trees to Ben Lui on the left. We passed the lochan where Robert the Bruce is said to have ditched his sword when on the run after being defeated in battle against the English.

Lochan of the Lost Sword
IMG_5582-largec.JPG

Last look at Crianlarich hills
IMG_5583-largec.JPG

Approaching the edge of Tyndrum I could see the end point for the race just through a gate. I opened the gate and held it for one of the runners who thanked me so profusely it was as if I'd done something more than just hold a gate open. I think the guy was just delighted to be finished!

But there was still a bit further to go for us to reach the Green Welly where we were meeting our driver. Twice between the end point of the race and the Green Welly I was stopped and asked where I was going, as if I was doing something strange. No idea what that was about. The last lap involved fording a burn on the outskirts of Tyndrum and then we were at the Green Welly where we went in for food. We had mushroom soup, which was good, a bowl of pasta chicken between us (which we couldn't finish and half of it went to the dogs) and banana milk shakes which were too synthetically sweet and creamy. I mention that as we'd had a real build up to having food in the Green Welly and for me it was the least enjoyable meal of our 8 days on the WHW.

Beinn Dorain appearing north of Tyndrum
IMG_5584-largec.JPG

Not that I want to finish on a down note. It had been another fabulous day and most satisfying to have passed the half way point with a shorter day coming up tomorrow! :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Highland fling, bells and flags in cow pat alley on WHW

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:09 pm

some lovely pictures there - those runners are bonkers! -
I'd have gone to the Real Food cafe myself, maybe next time!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Highland fling, bells and flags in cow pat alley on WHW

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:07 pm

mrssanta wrote:some lovely pictures there - those runners are bonkers! -
I'd have gone to the Real Food cafe myself, maybe next time!

Yes, we should have done that - but on the other hand it could have been stowed out with starving runners. :eh:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland