walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Hills Are Alive...

The Hills Are Alive...

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:44 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch, King's Seat Hill

Date walked: 09/06/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 995m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'd kept a close eye on the weather forecast, which reckoned there would be thunder storms by late afternoon, so I made a fairly early start and started the walk from Tillicoultry at about 8:30am (direct bus from Stirling bus station). From Mill Street at the western edge of Tillicoultry, the path takes you gently upwards through Mill Glen - a fertile little glen that follows the burn, with cliffs on one side and a steep-sided quarry on the other. The path is excellent, with several bridges that cross the gorge, stone steps, and wooden walkways. Without any difficulty I found myself at the head of the glen, looking up towards the first hill of the day - The Law.

ImageWalkway in Mill Glen by Christopher Watson, on Flickr
ImageLooking up at The Law by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Following the instructions from the Walk Highlands Ben Cleuch circular, I descended the steep path and crossed the burn, only to be met with a light and 'easy scramble' - a quick hop up the rocks and a walk up a very steep little path finally got me on the grassy path upwards to The Law.

ImageA little scramble to reach the path by Christopher Watson, on Flickr
ImageLooking back toward Mill Glen by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

They say that ascending Ben Cleuch via The Law is a good training ground for your first Munro, and I can see why. The path, once accessed, is by no means hard to negotiate, but is relentlessly steep. The three other walkers I met on the way up all made slow progress, but with frequent stops to enjoy the views back to Tillicoultry, it was a great place to be! Eventually the summit of The Law was reached, but sadly the mist was rolling in and there were no views to speak of.

ImageSummit of The Law by Christopher Watson, on Flickr
ImageOchil Hills in rolling mist by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Following the path from The Law toward the summit of Ben Cleuch (the highest point in the Ochil Hills, and my third Donald - so many to go :( ), the mists cleared and the whole landscape became quite surreal. Intense sun, green 'pastures', birds singing, butterflies everywhere - the whole thing felt like something out of The Sound of Music! Absolutely beautiful.

ImageBeautiful weather above the mist by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageSummit of Ben Cleuch by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

From Ben Cleuch, I walked back down to the stile which puts you on the path toward Andrew Gannel Hill. I had hoped to head around to Tarmangie Hill (and so bag another hill!) but the weather forecast still said thunder and lightning, so I just descended Andrew Gannel Hill and then followed the path that climbs King's Seat Hill. At the summit, I was surprised to come across a herd of cattle - who seemed excited to see me! I rounded the cairn as quickly as possible, being chased by some of the bolder cows - I was a little worried how playful they were being, given I was wearing a bright red top :shock: and finally got to sit down and admire the views.

ImageSummit of Andrew Gannel Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

On the way down from King's Seat Hill, I took a little detour to take in the views across the Glen of Sorrows, and once rejoining the path I came across the memorial to the 1943 Spitfire crash. Moving stuff, and I couldn't help but think about how difficult the rescue and recovery operation must have been for the RAF servicemen, coming up the hill on a cold January day.

ImageOn the way down King's Seat Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr
ImageMemorial to the 1943 Spitfire Crash by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageCrags on the way down King's Seat Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

By now I realised the weather forecast was completely wrong. There had been nothing but glorious sunshine and a little mist - no sign of rain or thunder storms, but it was too late to head back to Tarmangie Hill, so I continued downwards and came to the popular little Bank Hill, which offers great views over the village of Dollar.

ImageBank Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

The path descends steeply after the cairn, and eventually reaches Dollar Glen. Suddenly, Castle Campbell comes into view, and from there it is easy walking down the glen into the village of Dollar. As ever, I couldn't resist looking back up at the hills, and as seems to happen every time I venture into the hills in Scotland, I made mental notes of the hills to target next time - there's always next time! Yet another stunning day of walking, and I at least managed to tick off one Donald. Just about 86 to go...

ImageCampbell Castle by Christopher Watson, on Flickr
ImageBank Hill from Dollar Glen by Christopher Watson, on Flickr
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland