walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bog surfing in Dent/Ribbledales

Bog surfing in Dent/Ribbledales

Postby MunroMad » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Knoutberry Hill

Date walked: 06/11/2010

Time taken: 6

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 630m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I decided to make use of the weather today and visted Great Knoutberry hill. I had tried to bag this HEWITT before but failed in the mist and rain, although today I found out that I was only a just short by about 5 mins! Ah well. Todays trip started at Dent station and proceeded over Great Knoutberry, reaching the summit in about an hour (11:20) after going slightly awry. It was very boggy at the top. I proceeded down to Arten Gill moss to pick up the bridleway. It was completely swamped, and there was no evidence of a path at all. I eventually made it down to Newby Head, for the start of the Ribble way path up to Dodd Fell at abot 12:45. I then pressed on up to Cold Keld gate, taking the path from the Gavel Gap, reaching the gate there at 13:40. I then tried my luck with Dodd Fell, but got lost. I made it upto the wall at the 600m contour line on its southern flank, but could not find a hole in the wall, or any way to continue up (wall was 8-9ft high!). I then abandoned this option and headed back as it was getting dark, and I was getting tired. The weather had been mostly cooperative, did look like it was going to rain, but I was spared. I arrived a the Ribblehead inn/station at 16:20. All in all a good walk, but rather aggitated I came to within a few metres of bagging another HEWITT, but having to turn back. More for me next time!

I felt enlightened to come up with a bit of poetry in reflection of the flooding and boogy conditions witnessed today:

"If theres flooding on the river Ouse,
like the flow of saturday night booze,
Then against bogs you will inevitably lose."

Its not wordsworth, but it seemed to sum it up nicely at the time...when both my feet were covered in peat!

PS. Despite Great Knoutberry Hill being the king of false summits, it is well worth a visit with views extending out to the Howgills, Wild Boar Fell, Upper Penines, Lake District and the 3 peaks. Some photos:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
IMG_7976.JPG
Ribblehead viaduct.
IMG_7974.JPG
Looking north to Baugh Fell and G.K.H at sunset
IMG_7973.JPG
View towards Pen-y-ghent from the monotonous and boring Cam Road.
IMG_7971.JPG
Wharfedale with Yockenthwaite moor, Buckden Pike and Great Wherside.
IMG_7967.JPG
A moody Ingleborough
IMG_7964.JPG
The boggy heap that is Dodd Fell
IMG_7963.JPG
Speed bumps au natural...what a pain in the arse.
IMG_7955.JPG
Arten Gill Moss
IMG_7954.JPG
Swaledale sheep and Whernside
IMG_7950.JPG
Great Knoutberry Trig point, with Howgills and Lake District in the background
IMG_7942.JPG
Great Widdale Tarn and Great Shunner Fell
IMG_7937.JPG
The cairns that grace the western flanks of Great Knoutberry Hill
IMG_7934.JPG
Dentdale
IMG_7933.JPG
Wild Boar Fell, Mallerstang valley and the Upper Pennines peaking above the clouds
IMG_7932.JPG
Ingleborough and Whernside
IMG_7929.JPG
Whernside and Gargraeth
IMG_7927.JPG
Starting off from Dent station
MunroMad
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:63
Wainwrights:35   

Re: Bog surfing in Dent/Ribbledales

Postby mountain coward » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:38 pm

Like the 'Moody Ingleborough' pic and the witty ditty! :D

I did the whole of the Cam Road I think a few years back with my Dad - enjoyed it myself...
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland