walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

So this is Ben Nevis

So this is Ben Nevis

Postby James59 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 06/06/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1284m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Being an avid mountain type, my main goal during my recent trip to Scotland was to hike up Ben Nevis. I knew very little about the mountain a few months ago, other than the fact that it is the UK's highest peak. I was surprised to learn that thousands upon thousands of people hike to the summit every year. On discovering this, I decided I would hike up the mountain's backside, to avoid the crowds, at least on the way up. But at the last minute, for logistical reasons, I was forced to do the standard mountain path instead. As I'd read about, I encountered dozens (maybe hundreds?) of people on the mountain after I set out from the Ben Nevis Inn. I do most of my big hikes alone, so it was a rather unusual experience for me. But I have to say that I actually enjoyed the company—especially the two guys wearing their white-and-black striped Newcastle (?) football (soccer) jerseys. (They looked like hockey referees to me.) Thanks to the mainly clear day, there were some wonderful views on the way up, and I enjoyed scanning my preferred ridge route from the top. I didn't stay at the summit too long, because the midges (which I'd also read about) were out in full force. All in all, a memorable hike.
Attachments
snow.JPG
ben2.JPG
ben.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

James59
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland