walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nan Imirean and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay approach

Beinn nan Imirean and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay approach

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Imirean

Date walked: 06/11/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1010m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first proper outing since September, so I was prepared to be a bit rusty. As things turned out, I suffered no ill effects from my lay off, although we did set quite a leisurely pace. Present were myself and Lucy, my colleague Geri and her 1 year old Collie Murk, and Berenice. Our last outing together had been an absolute classic on Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh back in March. This one was unlikely to live up to that one, but had nevertheless been keenly anticipated for the last few weeks and even more so over the last 48 hours with the forecast looking good for Saturday.

I was away from Perth by 6.30am and as I drove along the A85 towards Crieff and darkness steadily turned to a greyish daylight, the sky looked bright and clear. After a quick coffee stop at Geri's in Crieff to pick up her and Berenice we were off towards our destination and at precisely 8.30 we were suited and booted and leaving the large gravelled parking area just before Kenknock Farm in Glen Lochay.

It was a bracing start to the day and the cold November air was cutting through my gloves. Even by the time we had pulled into the parking area just before 8.30 the reading in the car barely registered above freezing and it certainly felt like it as we crunched our way through iced puddles on the potholed track past Kenknock Farm.

By the time we had reached the footbridge at Badour, things had warmed up a bit but the early promise of a sunny day had failed to develop. In fact, although a watery sun could be seen blinking through the blanket of cloud pretty much all day, it never really made the promised breakthrough and managed to raise the cloud base sufficiently for great views. Oh well, it is the first week in November after all!

The Badour footbridge was a real exercise in balance and control, especially the steep down section on the far side, slick as it was thanks to the combination of wet, slimy wood coated in a hard hoar frost. Thank goodness for walking poles for a bit of extra balance.

We contoured around the slope, boggy in places, until the stream and the waterfall came into view, at which point we began to climb, aiming for the crags above the waterfall, from where it was a surprisingly long and hard slog up grassy slopes to the craggy little summit of Imirean. As we sat eating lunch a couple of chaps joined us having made the boggy ascent up from Glen Dochart.

Then it was down into the bealach for the pretty straightforward ascent up to the summit of Meall Glas, which we reached just before a solo female walker arrived having taken a more direct approach from Kenknock. The path along to Beinn Cheathaich proved to be the busiest section of the day, with a large group of Aberdonian sounding walkers and a very friendly and chatty couple all encountered along the way.

From the trig point at the summit of Beinn Cheathaich, the drop down and reascent up to Sgiath Chuil looks every bit as steep as I had imagined. With absolutely no intention of attempting that today, we headed north off Beinn Cheathaich to pick up the track back down to Lubchurran, where we collectively declined the opportunity of a wade across the River Lochay to regain the track in favour of a rather boggy tramp along the south bank of the river to the bridge at Kenknock.

IMG_5404.JPG
Ben Challum at the far end of Glen Lochay viewed from just west of Kenknock Farm

IMG_5407.JPG
A resident of Glen Lochay gives us the once over with Lubchurran cottage in the background

IMG_5409.JPG
Approaching forestry at Badour

IMG_5411.JPG
East back down Glen Lochay towards Meall Ghaordaidh and the Tarmachan Ridge

IMG_5412.JPG
Ben Challum around the corner from Badour

IMG_5415.JPG
Scary bridge crossing

IMG_5417.JPG
Just beyond Badour footbridge

IMG_5418.JPG
Sron nan Eun behind Batavaime

IMG_5420.JPG
North west between Ben Challum and the outliers of Creag Mhor

IMG_5423.JPG
Waterfall on northern approach to Beinn nan Imirean

IMG_5426.JPG
Looking down on Geri and Berenice from above the waterfall

IMG_5429.JPG
Beinn Heasgarnich from northern ridge of the Corbett

IMG_5433.JPG
South from summit of Imirean towards the Crianlarich hills

IMG_5434.JPG
Summit view east to Sgiath Chuil and Glen Dochart

IMG_5435.JPG
Lucy claims another Corbett - next Munro target in the background

IMG_5436.JPG
Lunch in relative shelter

IMG_5437.JPG
Myself on Imirean

IMG_5438.JPG
Descending to the bealach

IMG_5440.JPG
Beinn nan Imirean from the bealach to the north east

IMG_5441.JPG
Summit of Meall Glas

IMG_5442.JPG
Sgiath Chuil from Beinn Cheathaich

IMG_5443.JPG
Start of the descent back to the car

IMG_5445.JPG
Meall a' Churain from descent off Beinn Cheathaich

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Beinn nan Imirean and Meall Glas from Glen Lochay approach

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:43 pm

Nice one Graeme,good to see you back out after your lay off :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kinley » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:51 pm

:D We seem to be tuned into a similar wavelength Graeme! Had that route in the "plans" section for a while now - nice to see a preview :lol:

Looks a fine wintry day - I may be following in your footsteps again soon 8)
kinley

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Nice report Graeme - I've got the munros in this area on my to do list hopefully for next year (maybe even with some camping) :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby monty » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Graeme,
Nice report there. The weather didn't look too bad and you managed to get a few nice photos. :D The slopes on these are a bit steep arn't they :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 pm

I'd hate to do any of those hills from the Dochart side! Definitely better from Glen Lochay. I really liked Meall Glas and Ben Cheetah and eyed up that Corbett while I was doing them - wish I'd done it now... But I never fancied including Sgiath Chuil as I thought it was a ridiculous drop down between them to include them in the same walk. What a great name for a dog which is being taken up misty mountains - Murk! :lol:
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland