walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clocks 'n' walks

Clocks 'n' walks

Postby weedavie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 12/06/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1680m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The trouble with long walks is estimating times - well it is if you can't be bothered taking care. Beinn Laoigh from Crianlarich by train can be crushed into the 6 hours between the morning and afternoon trains but if you wait for the evening train it's 9 and a half hours to wait. I reckoned to only do three hills would mean an expensive two hours in the pub so go for all four.

I shoved the route into the OS package and came out with 6 hours 40. It just uses Naysmith which assumes an optimum surface for 5 kph and allows a minute for 10 metres of ascent but nothing for descent. The route had 1600 metres of each so the indicated time was definitely just a minimum. Anyway I reckoned about 90 minutes on the bike so it all looked comfortable including a pint.

The train was a touch late so I left the bike at 11.15, still with 8 and a quarter hours in hand, and made Laoigh comfortably by 1.15. I saw an eagle on the way in. It had a white tail so I got into the usual young eagle, sea eagle dilemma. I'd like to think it was a White-tailed Eagle because it was doing a weird wheeling pattern up the glen but I don't actually know if that's significant.

There had been rags of cloud all morning but they now cleared.
pic 2 690.jpg
Far away targets
Laoigh to Beinn a'Chleibh is nothing - well, maybe 50 minutes.
pic 1 690.jpg
Scotia's grandeur
I stopped for a few minutes but it really is an undistinguished top. I now worked out a probable time to Ben Oss. Looking at the terrain and the need for a traverse, two hours seemed right. As the Oss bealach is 100 metres lower than a Chleibh's,I picked a line before I started. That was worthwhile because once you start, you've no visibility of Oss and it seems right to climb rather than descend. I was really grateful for the dry spell, the traverse would be a lot more slippy when wet.

I beat the two hours by 10 minutes which should have been "achievement!" but just woke me to how much distance was left. At this point I met another two people. There had been two coming off a'Chleibh, and that was it for the day. Ten past four for a 7.30 train seems comfortable but I might have skipped Dubhcraig, except there's not a natural way of doing it.You've got to climb that shoulder. Recently I've only gone between them in winter which is quite demanding but I estimated an hour and was surprised how easy it was.
pic 3 690.jpg
Hazy but satisfying

Psychologically I now screwed up by not estimating my walk out. I was knackered and stumbling and I believed I was getting way behind time. But the last slope, which can be a pain when it's wet or snow covered, was dry and easy and I was back to the bike in an hour. Ya beauty, back to Crianlarich with the wind and slope behind me. I'd half an hour in hand so I bought a couple of bottles of beer for the train from the Landis shop. Then in to the Rod and Reel for a pint, I thought, of Guinness. Paradise, there was a Deuchar's handpump! £4.30 seemed steep for a pint, but it was beautifully served and I'd cheerfully have paid double.

Laoigh 4.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Clocks 'n' walks

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:03 pm

It's a nice round and a bike certainly helps.
Good going - did something similar a few years back but even taking the bike a bit further than you it still took me quite a bit longer - but then I think Naismith has always been too fast for me :crazy:

weedavie wrote:I reckoned to only do three hills would mean an expensive two hours in the pub so go for all four.
I've seen various rationales for the number of hills in a round but not this one so far :wink: :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland