walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain / Beinn Ime for another day

Beinn Narnain / Beinn Ime for another day

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 07/11/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my 2nd attempt to try and climb Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime,on my 1st visit I got as far as the Spearhead and could go no further because it was all backed up with snow and my 2 dogs found it impossible to get through.
This time I had arranged to meet Andy,Brian,and Sue,aka Stretch and Mr and Mrs Jockstar from WH,got my first view across Loch Long to the Cobbler,looking mighty fine in the early morning sun
mixed 133.jpg
Cobbler
Also the lower south west slopes of Beinn Narnain
mixed 134.jpg
Beinn Narnain
Got to the car park first,and got suited and booted,and waited for the rest to arrive,not long after me Andy,Brian,Sue,appeared,and we were on our way by 9am,with just time to grab a photo of Loch Long
mixed 135.jpg
Loch Long
Followed the route on WH and soon took a photo looking back down to Loch Long(done to death,but so what)
mixed 137.jpg
Lookin gback
Higher up the views were opening out across to Ben Lomond,with a light dusting of snow
mixed 136.jpg
Ben Lomond
Fairly soon became quite apparent that with this only being Sue"s 3rd time out,that we may not be able to climb the two Munro"s today,but all credit must go to Sue with all the effort she put in today,from the very start,and as always the most important thing is always to enjoy your day when your out,which was not hard in this company.The fine weather,was slowly starting to close in ,and so tried to snatch some pics where possible
mixed 139.jpg
Light dusting of snow on Cobbler
Stretch using his long legs to good open a gap to the slow coaches
mixed 141.jpg
Long legs put to good use
Soon we came to where my last attempt came to a halt,but this time there was to be no turning back
mixed 142.jpg
Start of the last push to the top
We took our time on this section for 3 reasons 1 weather closing in,2 dusting of snow on top of ice on the rocks,3 this was Sue"s first time scrambling.my utmost respect goes to her today,never once did she hesitate or complain,anything we asked her to do she did and made a fine job under poor conditions.
mixed 143.jpg
Stretch and Mr and Mrs Jockstar scrambling
Once we got over The Spearhead,could see just how much this meant to Sue,as she was now on a high,and chuffed to bits at what she had just done :clap: :clap: Summit was now in site with Stretch showing the way
mixed 144.jpg
Stretch and snowy trig point
And gammy at the top
mixed 145.jpg
Summit pic
Dropped down of the top for some lunch,then made our way down to the bealach between Narnain and Ime,this was a slow descent,with ice and snow all the way down,this is where me and stretch had to make a call,do we try and carry on,with the slopes to Ime all iced up,do we ask Sue and Brian to wait while we tackle Ime,in the end I think we made the correct one,so we all turned our backs on Ime and made our way down the northwest slopes of Narnain,and back to our cars.Andy,Brian,Sue,I had a great day today in your company,look forward to maybe meeting up with you all in the near future :D :D
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Narnain / Beinn Ime for another day

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:53 pm

In the end it was a fairly easy one to make,the hills ain"t going anywhere fast
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby nathan79 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Jockstar passing on his new found love for scrambling onto Mrs Jockstar eh.

I didn't think i was going to get out and about today so i passed on this trip, but i did manage to get out in the end. Looks like the weather was the same west as it was in the east, beautiful day to start with but the cloud came a calling.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:101   Corbetts:29
Grahams:13   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   Islands:5

Postby mountain coward » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:21 pm

Yeah, well done to Sue for that - your gully shot is great! :D
Last edited by mountain coward on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mountain coward

Postby Alan S » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:23 pm

Good report there mate, looks like you all still had a good day despite turning back :)
I think you like this area too much and you keep making excuses to come back :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Stretch » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:27 pm

Good meeting you Gammy, it was a blast going up the scrambly bits. I was really impressed by your scrambling spaniels, fine dogs they are! I've got a few good pics of the Jockstars enjoying the rocky stuff :lol: , gotta hand it to Mrs Jockstar for getting up that!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby monty » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Good report GLW. The scambley bit looks interesting. :D Nice weather. :shock: Looks like a WH mini meet :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Well done Sue - it must have been intimidating with all you guys around but she came through :clap: :clap: Fully agree with your decision - better to come back on a day when you can enjoy it all 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 am

Nice report and pics. It took me two attempts to do Narnain and Ime via the same route (in better conditions than your photos suggest). First time I turned back before the Spearhead because of wind and rain but mainly a lack of experience (was only my 2nd Munro and first solo). Well done on Narnain, means you can tackle Ime from a different route too if you want :)
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Jockstar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 am

Well done Mrs Jockstar!!!!.You can changed your User name if u like! Great effort in difficult conditions later in the day and thanks to Stretch and Gammy leg for all the support. Shame we couldn't get to do Beinn Ime but the right decision was made, especially when I saw the Mountain Rescue helicopter taking off and heading in the direction of Ime :( . Looking forward to meeting up with you guys soon. :) . BTW the curry was brill!!! :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby suhowfar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Great report Gammy Leg Walker. Really enjoyed meeting you guys yesterday and the two cute well behaved energetic Spaniels. What a totally fantastic ‘challenging’ day. There is no way I could have managed this without you guys Stretch, Gammy Leg Walker and of course the man who takes the credit for getting me into all this my Mr Jockstar…. many thanks to all 3 off you guys for your support and assistance. Although when Stretch says to me it’s over the next one (maybe), just a few minutes more or Su you may as well put your poles away they will not be much help, then I thought Eeek ! :? Seriously though Stretch, thanks that helped me to keep going onwards… :)

The right decision was made to leave Beinn Ime for another day, not sure I would have managed it, sorry for holding you guys up, you were very supportive to me and made the right decision for us all. :D

Lunch was ‘fun’ at the top, even the Doggies enjoyed their steak pies (for a split second I had a vision of one of their steak pies hot with brown sauce on!) :wink: Can’t wait until the next one. Once again thanks guys, great company, day, challenges and views. Hope to meet with you again soon Stretch and Gammy Leg Walker. Please Brian (AKA Jockstar), get planning our next one for Sunday, I have well got the walking (and scrambling!!) bug now....... Mrs Jockstar (AKA suhowfar) :thumbup:
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Munros:35   Corbetts:1

Postby Alan S » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:34 pm

well done on this sue,some good comments there, sometimes it makes the difference having someone there to push you on.I was on the phone to GLW when you where on your way back down and it sounded pretty tough going.
suhowfar wrote:even the Doggies enjoyed their steak pies

I am going straight on the phone to mrs gammy leg as these dogs are supposed to be on strict diets :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby suhowfar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:56 pm

Oooops Alan, I did not know they were on a diet :shh: , but I think they were low cal pies, honest :wink: ....well they did walk the calories off throughout the day! Hopefully Mrs Gammy Leg will let him off!!!

Yeah I got some really great encouragement and help from the 3 guys, it made all the difference when I was struggling :D. It also really helped Jockstar had promised me a Curry Buffet night with a few wee glasses of red vine when we got back that evening, so that helped to quicken the pace in the end towards the car....still taking in the fantastic views and watching the rescue helicopter flying around. And yes Stretch the curry and vino were great, hope you enjoyed your pasta :D
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Munros:35   Corbetts:1

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:52 pm

It was a nice start on sunday wasn't it?

Looks a cracking day's walking and company too :)

Quite right on the group decision to turn - rule number one is get down safe, rule number 2 is have fun, rule number 3....never eat yellow snow ;)

Now you get to go back! :lol:
kinley

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:146   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:39   

Postby Merry-walker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 pm

great report and pictures Gammy and looks like a fine time was had by all :wave:

that Cobbler looks bloomin' awsome!!
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).
Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland