walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Gainmheich - a wee toughie

Meall Gainmheich - a wee toughie

Postby rob munbett » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Gainmheich

Date walked: 22/06/2018

Distance: 7.1 km

Ascent: 611m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I woke early and looked out the window - a fine morning so I set of for the Ben A'an car park at 6.30 to avoid the traffic through Glasgow. Needless to say my car was the first there. £3 fee paid and boots on I set off up the Ben A'an track, or should I say staircase. Man, some of these stone steps are large. I was glad for my 36" inside leg. I wonder of small children make it? After a quick visit to the Ben A'an tops, it was time to try to work out the best way over to my hill. I have to say that I would hate to try this in mist because it's bad enough with good visibility. In the end, it was just a case of ploughing though the rough terrain as best I could in the right direction.
P1030905(1).JPG
Looking over to Meall Gainmeach (right) from near Ben A'an
Eventually, I went through a metal gate in a high deer fence and made my final steep ascent to the summit, where I had rest looking over to Ben Ledi and back from whence I'd come to Ben Venue.
P1030909(1).JPG
Looking back to Ben Venue from the summit
On my way down, I followed the old fence line which crossed the top which led quite steeply to another fence which I followed over several ups and downs and through some boggy sections, all the time the heather and bracken pretty solid.
P1030910(1).JPG
Following the fence lines from the summit
It was quite a relief to reach the top of the Ben A'an track for an easy descent, meeting plenty of overseas tourists on their way up to photograph the views of Loch Katrine. I don't think any of them would be tempted by Meall Ginmheich!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland