walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Solstice summit: Arnaval

Solstice summit: Arnaval

Postby malky_c » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:35 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Arnaval

Date walked: 21/06/2018

Time taken: 0.8 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 200m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Arnaval.
Date: 21/06/2018.
Distance: 3 km.
Ascent: 200 m.
Time: 50 minutes.
Weather: Breezy, cool, clear.

This is just a short, fairly uninteresting report to preface the main event. I had agreed to do a day of walking with Alan (Owdjockey on SHills) on Skye on Friday at fairly short notice. Looking at my options for being there at a sensible time on Friday morning, I opted to head over the night before and either camp or sleep in the car. I suddenly realised that this would be the perfect opportunity to do something on the summer solstice - something I haven't done for years. When I was a student, we would often aim for a weekend of camping in the far NW as close to the solstice as possible - I have some great memories of Achnahaird, Achmelvich and Sandwood Bay in years gone by.

Arnaval.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I didn't leave Inverness until almost 8pm, but there weren't any concerns about the daylight. A mixed but pleasant evening took me over to Carbost by 10:30pm. I was due to meet Alan early next morning in Glen Brittle, but I hadn't yet decided where I would sleep. A handy layby on the road over to Talisker looked like a good option on Google, and was conveniently situated just below Arnaval.

Stockval

I started up Arnaval at around 10:35, but there was still plenty of light. I just went in my jacket, not bothering with a map or a torch. A steep start led to a short scramble through a band of crags, before things levelled off a bit.

Arnaval

On the way up Arnaval

There were a couple of soft boggy areas to cross and another couple of outcrops to get around, then I was on the summit in about 20 minutes. Great views out NW to Macleod's Tables and west to Talisker Bay, but less so back to the Black Cuillin, which was covered in cloud. I had hoped to see the Outer Hebrides, but there was a very similar hazy, cool, breezy atmosphere to what I had experienced on my visit to Olisdal bothy this time last year (with slightly more light, it probably would have been visible from here actually).

Sheep near the summit of Arnaval

Talisker Bay from Arnaval

MacLeod’s Tables and Loch Bracadale

Beinn Staic and the River Brittle

Perhaps not the most adventurous thing I could have done, but I was pretty happy with it - standing on the summit of a hill on Skye at 11pm with some daylight left over: perfection 8) . I headed back much the same way, reaching the car before 11:30pm. I had thought to park up here for the night, but the layby had a comms mast of some sort in it with a noisy generator running. Instead I decided to minimise tomorrow's driving and drop down into Glen Brittle.

Moon over Loch Brittle

Beinn Staic and the River Brittle

Camping in Glen Brittle, with Sgurr Alasdair behind

Although it seemed a bit cheeky, I ended up in a grassy area just short of the campsite, where I decided to park up for the night and sleep in the car. Since I was in late, intending to leave by 6am, and not needing any facilities, I didn't feel to guilty about not going into the campsite. I had a quick stroll around the beach before trying to get some sleep.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Solstice summit: Arnaval

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:43 pm

Good idea and a good result - as ever, you're very efficient at slotting in hill walks wherever you end up - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Solstice summit: Arnaval

Postby CJM Skye » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:04 am

Bivvied up there a couple of weeks ago, stunning views at sunset and sunrise.
CJM Skye
Mountain Walker

Munros:61   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:12   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland