walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach: Munros 2 & 3

Liathach: Munros 2 & 3

Postby iangpark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:49 am

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Date walked: 20/06/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 1410m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There's probably not many folk about who have Liathach as their second and third Munros; or indeed their first Munro trip in nearly a decade. After booking a week's path restoration trip months ago with the NTS in Torridon, I then thought about what to be attempting on the day off. Liathach was the first on the cards but I also planned routes for Beinn Alligin, Beinn Dearg, Seana Mheallan, Beinn na h-Eaglaise and Maol Chean-dearg if the weather was to be better elsewhere. I was wary of actually telling the boss where I was off to as I have done so before a few years ago and ultimately (probably wisely) didn't get to ascend Carn Eige solo in April! On the contrary, he infact encouraged everyone to head for the hills: him and 3 others going up Beinn Alligin, one other to a top of Beinn Eighe and myself to Liathach. The weather had been pretty decent the two days prior but the day of the walk was perfect. I also apologise in advance for going a bit over the top on the photo-editing front for this report.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk started at 08:45 after getting dropped off by the minivan. I was pretty anxious as the tops were covered in clag and the air was still cold but I powered on, not trying to think about what I was doing or where I was headed too much. The ascent path is very good at the far east end and I gained height really quickly. I had seen a walking party by the waterfall of the Allt an Doire Ghairbh, which was reassuring until I caught up with and overtook them half an hour later.

Into the clouds:
1 - Up Path Into Clouds.jpg

Fortunately the clag was very light and burning off the higher I went. I caught up with a father and son duo who seemed to be the first on the hill for the day and, seeing as I didn't want to be 'leading the pack', I decided to stick with them for the majority of the walk. They provided some great company as they were both well-experienced and we had a great deal in common; most notably that the father used to take (and now manages) Gaelic workshops, which I took last year, in my old secondary Greenock Academy. There was a slightly precarious scramble near the top of the path where it begins to narrow and disintegrate. I'd say that this is a good indicator of what's to come. If you can do that then I doubt you'd have much trouble for the rest. It was an hour and 15 minutes to complete the sweaty initial ascent. Upon reaching the top of the ridge, the views to the north immediately opened up to reveal one of the most amazing landscapes I have seen from a hill.

North from ridge:
3 - North from ridge.jpg

South from ridge:
2 - South from ridge.jpg

The other two had planned to visit the east top of Stùc a' Choire Dhuibh Bhig and seeing as I was meant to be at the pub for 6, I initially thought against it but decided that I was already ahead of schedule and was told that the ridge itself would only be around an hour and a half.

Beinn Eighe from Sa'CDB:
4 - Beinn Eighe from East top.jpg

Looking west:
5 - Along ridge.jpg

After a longer than expected blether at the top, we pressed on to re-overtake the walking party and begin the nice rugged ridge to the first bump of Stob a' Choire Liath Mhòr (Beag?)

Along the ridge:
6 - Along rocky section looking up second top.jpg

Views to Spidean a' Choire Lèith from first bump:
7 - View to SaCL.jpg

The second top of Sa'CLM had a very well made shelter at it's summit. The view to the first Munro was excellent (if a bit steep!)

View to Sa'CL:
8 - SaCL Ascent view from second top.jpg

After serpentining through the large scree, I finally reached the top of my second Munro, the highest point in Torridon and the eighth most prominent point in Britain - in the silent sunlight, a kilometre up and all to myself! The views were jaw-dropping. Only 3 years later have I found out that this was in fact my 50th Marilyn!

Am Fasarinen and Mullach an Rathain from below the summit of Spidean a' Choire Lèith:
9 - fasarinen and MaR view from SacL.jpg

Initial section of The Teeth:
10 - fasarinen initial.jpg

Rest of western ridge:
10.5 - rest of ridge .jpg

Looking back:
11 - looking back from SacL.jpg

Beinn Eighe and (some) tops:
11.5 - beinn eight and tops.jpg

Cambrian greyness of the massif:
12 - beinn eighe from SaCL.jpg

I waited for the other two to catch up while having my lunch and basking in the sun. We gazed longingly at the view ahead and discussed how ready we were to get to the pinnacles! The scree on the way down is easily navigated so long as one doesn't rush it.

Seana Mheallan from a kilometre up:
13 - seana mheallach.jpg

The pinnacles were great fun and allowed for a few different types of route per one, but some are much hairier than others. They can always be easily bypassed to the south should anyone wish to or even backtracked from their tops, however I found them more challenging than the ascent of Am Fasarinen itself. One of the initial ones involved getting yourself up a slightly sloped plate which tapers at the top. This would have been a challenge in the rain/ice/snow but was not too demanding in the dry. I found the descents significantly harder than the ascents for the majority of them. Eventually we had clambered to the bottom of the final pinnacle, by which point the rain had started. Although the most dangerous if you were to fall (excluding to the north elsewhere of course), it is not close to being the hardest point of the ridge in my opinion. The holds are everywhere and didn't need a staring-upwards-from-the-bottom-in-wonder type of planning. It would only take an experienced scrambler a minute or so at the most.

Looking back from the top of Am Fasarinen:
14 - Sacl From fasarinen.jpg

Mullach an Rathain from top:
15 - MaR from beginning of second ridge.jpg

The descent of the pinnacle wasn't completely straightforward either and did involve a bit of carefulness. After that however it was plain sailing and we could relax on the gradual trod to the next Munro. We spotted a trio whom I'd met on the Coire Mhic Nobuil path we were sorting. They were doing the ridge in reverse. I dread to think of the weather they got as it must have been pretty miserable and a bit more dangerous.

Am Fasarinen from the west:
16 - fasarinen from behind.jpg

MaR misty ascent:
17 - MaR misty ascent.jpg

We didn't bother visiting the minor bumps on the edge of the ridge or even the edge itself as a well-worn path made a shortcut around them. After a surprising lashing of snow near the top, the clouds cleared just in time for another clear summit. My camera wasn't quite good enough to make out the others on The Horns.

MaR snow:
18 - MaR snow.jpg

Looking back along the ridge:
19 - looking back from MaR.jpg

The mental Munro top of Meall Dearg:
20 - meall dearg munro top.jpg

Loch Torridon and Beinn Alligin:
21 - alligin and beinn dearg and loch torridon.jpg

Skye horizon, Upper Loch Torridon and Liathach's western ridge:
22 - skye and loch better and ridge.jpg

After handshakes all round we began to make our way back down the scree. I had misunderestimated 1. the length of the walk back and 2. the poor quality of the path for about half the way down. The son of the duo had to rush back to the car to drive it along to where me and the father would end up, so we chatted most of the way at a leisurely pace. The descent took 15 minutes longer than the ascent at the start. My knees were pretty battered by the time we reached the road but the exercise from the four days prior had meant that they weren't sore the next morning. Plus I got a lift back to the village from the duo - thanks again lads!

It was all over in 5 hours but I was ecstatic that I had finally bagged more Munros after an absence of what I can guess is almost a decade. It will probably be quite a long time before I end up back in magical Torridon so I was glad to have made the most of it while I was there.
Last edited by iangpark on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: Liathach - Munros 2 & 3

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:28 am

Magnificent photos of this extraordinary hill!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby iainR » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 am

Great report with some really amazing pictures, well done.
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby iangpark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:26 pm

iainR wrote:Great report with some really amazing pictures, well done.

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Magnificent photos of this extraordinary hill!

Thank you both :)
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:21 pm

That looked enjoyable - some cracking clear photos too. Good to see you had somewhat better conditions than I had with most of the walk in the clag :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby iangpark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:48 am

rockhopper wrote:That looked enjoyable - some cracking clear photos too. Good to see you had somewhat better conditions than I had with most of the walk in the clag :roll: - cheers :)

Was very lucky with the weather RH - can't say I wasn't apprehensive about a clag-filled scramble like you had yourself :shock:
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Re: Liathach: Munros 2 & 3

Postby malky_c » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:40 pm

Fantastic colours - great report :D . Welcome to the land of proper hills :wink:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:07 pm

You are right that not many people would have this at such an early stage in their Munro career. Mine was among the last 20, when compleation fever had taken hold, and I bagged almost whatever the weather, with the result that I was too scared to carry on after it started snowing (in July) on the first one, and had to come back in drizzle for the second one. Yours is a fine tribute to the hill compared with my" get it over" attitude. Need to go back.

PS. And some really outstanding photos.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby iangpark » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:25 pm

malky_c wrote:Fantastic colours - great report :D . Welcome to the land of proper hills :wink:

Cheers Malky - nice to finally join the club :lol: Will make sure to make a few more Munro visits when I've finally escaped Dumfries by next year!

Sgurr wrote:You are right that not many people would have this at such an early stage in their Munro career. Mine was among the last 20, when compleation fever had taken hold, and I bagged almost whatever the weather, with the result that I was too scared to carry on after it started snowing (in July) on the first one, and had to come back in drizzle for the second one. Yours is a fine tribute to the hill compared with my" get it over" attitude. Need to go back.

PS. And some really outstanding photos.

Would be a very different place during snow - we were following crampon marks for some of the pinnacles and it blows my mind that people venture up there when the rocks are mostly hidden. Nice to know that snow seems to be a regular occurrence there even during summer. Can imagine Mullach an Rathain being little more than a winding slog without the ridge!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby yokehead » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 am

Superb report, wonderful photos. A fine choice for your nos. 2 & 3.

If you plan to go on to do the lot though, make sure you leave a good one for your last, you wouldn't want it to be some heathery lump! :)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby iangpark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:32 am

yokehead wrote:Superb report, wonderful photos. A fine choice for your nos. 2 & 3.

If you plan to go on to do the lot though, make sure you leave a good one for your last, you wouldn't want it to be some heathery lump! :)

Thank you! I'm all to used to heathery summits at the moment from the Donalds so will need to shed my acceptance of them :lol:
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Great photos!

Welcome back to the hills. You picked "one" of the very best to restart on.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby iangpark » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:51 am

Mal Grey wrote:Great photos!

Welcome back to the hills. You picked "one" of the very best to restart on.

Cheers Mal - lots more gems still to be uncovered!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Outstanding photos and a great report Ian, looks like you had an absolute cracker of a day up there, nice one! :clap: :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby iangpark » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Outstanding photos and a great report Ian, looks like you had an absolute cracker of a day up there, nice one! :clap: :clap:

Cheers Chris - had expected it to be a bit more work than it actually was but the weather was excellent. Would actually prefer a bit of cloudiness over all-out blue skies!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland