walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Marilyn, a Tump, and a Slice of Berwickshire Coast Path

A Marilyn, a Tump, and a Slice of Berwickshire Coast Path

Postby Christo1979 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lamberton Hill

Date walked: 23/06/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 21.2 km

Ascent: 557m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not one for the hillwalkers as such, but a pleasant walk that made the most of an afternoon off. I hopped off the train at Berwick upon Tweed about 1pm. The weather was glorious, and I decided to start with a short section of the Berwickshire Coastal Path. This route takes you up the (increasingly, if you head south-north) dramatic coastline to Cocksburnpath, but I planned to come off south of Burnmouth so I could cross the main road and at least head up to tick off one (small) hill. Once you leave the golf course and caravan park at Berwick, you get to walk the cliff tops and enjoy some solitude and great views.

ImageThe Start (Or End) of the Berwickshire Coast Path by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageBerwickshire Coast Path by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageNeedles Eye by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageMarshall Meadows Bay by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Once over the border, the path runs alongside the railway line, and I was able to cross the bridge at Tods Loup, following the quiet road up to the village of Lamberton. Once I got to Campfield Farm, I was able to follow the path up to the trigpoint at the top of Lamberton Hill - a tiny hill, but at least I got to tick one off today!

ImageBus Stop at Lamberton by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageLamberton HIll Trigpoint by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Lamberton Hill is in enclosed farmland, so I didn't feel as comfortable crossing ground as usual. However, rather than retrace my steps, I went down the south side of the hill and joined a farm track which led me to the minor road and on down to Clappers. Pleasant scenery with nice views of the Cheviots to the South. I wanted to take a look at Halidon Hill (site of a major battle in 1333), but found myself having to walk alongside crop fields in waist-thigh thistles and nettles. It was either that or walk along the main road even more, so with gaiters on and hands held high, I negotiated a stretch of farmland before arriving at the foot of Halidon Hill. A friendly farm worker said there was a direct track from here to the top of the hill, and kindly let me use it. The views from the trig point were probably the best of the day, looking around in all directions.

ImageClimbing Halidon Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageHalidon Hill Trigpoint by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

From Halidon Hill, the track becomes a road which leads easily all the way back down into Berwick upon Tweed, where I arrived in time for a well-earned pint before catching a train home. Today's walk was a bit of an improvised one, and the roads and farmland didn't make for the kind of pleasurable hiking you get when you're hillwalking, but it was nice to tick off a Sub2000 that normally wouldn't have much interest, and at least keep the fitness levels up - 21km or so in about 4.5 hours, and plenty of fresh air and sunshine. Next time, I'll be heading further North for a weekend and some 'proper' hills :wink:

ImageView from Halidon Hill by Christopher Watson, on Flickr
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:9
Grahams:12   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:75
Wainwrights:63   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland