walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain - a Su-perb outing

Beinn Narnain - a Su-perb outing

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 08/11/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I get closer to my 100th munro I've been trying to knock out some of the Arrochar/Trossachs area hills. Saturday I was up and down Ben Vane in a Monty-like rush, 4 hours flat, but sadly there were no views in the damp mist. Sunday I arranged to meet Gammy Leg Walker and Mr & Mrs Jockstar for a trip up Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime. After a bit of a late start we were warming up the legs as the path meandered through the forest above the car park. The views back to Ben Lomond and down Loch Long were fantastic.

Up through the short forest section.jpg

Coming out of the forest.jpg

The gang with Ben Lomond.jpg

Loch Long.jpg

Higher up the terrain became more interesting and some of the smaller scrambling sections were reached. This is just a warm up to what is to come I explained to Su. Just past halfway up we were rewarded with our first view of the Cobbler, what a sight! It looks alien to this area I have to say, but I'm dying to get up it now.

Mr and Mrs Jockstar with Ben Lomond.jpg

Su getting a taste of the scrambling to come.jpg

The magnificent Cobbler.jpg

Jockstar loves this stuff.jpg

After the initial easy scrambles we made it to the flat spot below the imposing Spearhead. Gammy and I assured a slightly nervous Su that the path looked worse than it actually was and that we would stick together and get up in no time. Meanwhile, Jockstar's eyes lit up, he gets this summit fever look in his eyes sometimes, especially if a scramble is involved :lol: . So up we went, taking our time to make sure everyone made it through the slippery steep bits. The cloud was really closing in at this point which made the towering Spearhead look all the more daunting. Upon reaching the bottom of the gully I assured Su that it would all be over in a matter of mintues. So up we went. About midway up the gully I stopped to help Su up a tall section of rock and she was shaking nervously as I pulled her up. The worst is over I said, well done! Just a short bit later we were at the trig point on Narnain and Su had a huge smile on her face after getting through the Spearhead.

Just one more scrambly section Su.jpg

The interesting bit.jpg

Gammy and his scrambling spaniels.jpg

Su has caught the scrambling bug.jpg

The scramble continues.jpg

An eerie gully ahead.jpg

Gammy, Su, and Stretch on Beinn Narnain.jpg

After a quick lunch break we made our way down to the bealach where Gammy and I decided that as a group we would not have enough time to tackle Beinn Ime. So the decision was made to head back around the Cobbler and back to the cars. Conditions were deteriorating and the light would have faded before we made it back if we had tried Ime so it was the right call in the end. There were loads of people, mostly in jeans and trainers heading up the path toward the base of the Cobbler as we walked out. Hopefully they weren't planning to attempt a climb at this stage in the day.

Gammy with Beinn Ime.jpg

A cloudy Cobbler.jpg

Two HDR's:

Ben Lomond over Arrochar HDR.jpg

The Cobbler HDR.jpg

Overall this was really a fun day out with some great company. Just to see the sense of joy and accomplishment on Su's face after reaching the top of Narnain was enough to make this a great day on the hill. It was also good to meet Gammy and his fine and most obedient spaniels. Now I can't wait to get back and combine Beinn Ime with the Cobbler!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn Narnain - a Su-perb outing

Postby Alan S » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Another fine report Stretch 8) nice pics especially the hdr ones,i would love to know how to do that.
Stretch wrote:There were loads of people, mostly in jeans and trainers heading up the path toward the base of the Cobbler as we walked out.

I noticed that when i was up last year on the 14th of november,its surprising how many people where walking up the path very late on in the day.
I have to congratulate the 3 of you..... how on earth did you get gammy leg to smile in his summit pic :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Jockstar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Heh Stretch - That camera takes some great photos and the one of Su (AKA Mrs Jockstar) coming up that scramble tells its own story. :D I suspect that smile will be Mrs Jockstar's face for many a week ahead! :D
Maybe we're missing something about the attire of the afternoon walkers that when the temperature dips they feel the need to adorn jeans, t shirts and trainers...after all we're well hard in Scotland :lol:
Loved the other photo's and along with GLW's photos I might find it difficult to find one as good as you two guys have took. Still watch this space..... :D ( great title by the way !!!)
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mountainstar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Another good day, and 2 more bagged :D
The Cobbler will test you yet again, threading the needle to get to the summit is fun!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby weemistermac » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Yeah, some cracking pix Stretch. Do you use a tripod for your HDR pix?
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3

Postby nathan79 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:06 pm

The Cobbler just looks plain evil in that HDR.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby monty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Nice report Stretch,
Date walked should be the 7th ? First picture is stunning. Full of colour whereas the cobbler hdr looks like its the entrance to MORDOR :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Lovely - like the HDR's 8)

Not done the Spearhead route - looks fun.

Cheers 8)
kinley

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Cheers guys! Yeah the date is the 7th, I'm pretty sure there weren't too sane many hillwalkers about today in these conditions :lol:

I'm still tinkering about with the HDR, it brings a neat twist to some really interesting scenes. No tripod for this Stuart, just a steady hand and a sharpen command in photoshop. If I had more time I'd watch some more video tutorials on the HDR process to learn how to add layers which can sometimes fix the sky in certain images. But for now these are just basic HDRs.

The Cobbler looks like it belongs on some Sci-fi space film.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:29 pm

Love that pic you took with my 2 dogs on the scramble stretch,Mrs GLW was amazed how they got there,and now keeps asking for just one more look. we all had a great day out and the look on Sue"s face on the scramble gives a fair indication of how much we all enjoyed our day,looking forward to meeting you again soon
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby skuk007 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Great report and pics there (now looking for tutorials on HDR technique) :)
Looks like you all had a great day.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:13 am

Great photos, especially the first one :D Not often I see one of those colour skies...
mountain coward

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Smashing report and pictures, looks LoTR's-ish (the views that is). The picture of you all at the summit is especially good
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland