walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Drise an excellent little walk

Beinn na Drise an excellent little walk

Postby desmondo1 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn na Drise

Date walked: 24/06/2018

Time taken: 3.13 hours

Distance: 9.43 km

Ascent: 483m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I came across this walk on the Mull Cottages website and seemed a good one to see if my chest infection had cleared, the good lady in tow today. I was surprised that no single reviews of this hill were logged on the website.
P1000974.JPG

Faint track after cottages
The start is about a third of a mile north of Lagganulva farm. A short walk to some cottages then up and out over the moors. Some cattle and calves stood their ground as we passed, stares only, a different story on the return.
There is a track for a short while but at this time of the year it disappeared into ferns and bracken.
P1000976.JPG

Route ahead head for the highest point
On the ascent there are small tracks quickly picked up and just as easily lost and found again. More likely to be sheep and deer trails than humans.
I had taken a bearing and we were simply heading in that direction taking the lines of least resistance.
P1000975.JPG

Ulva in background
Worth stopping and looking around as the views were better than the moor straight ahead. The newly resident owned island of Ulva is prominent.
P1000982.JPG

It's off
We surprised a small group of half a dozen red deer hinds who after a quick look raced away.
P1000991.JPG

After a few false summit’s the trig comes into view. Once there it is a proper stand alone hill, the views in all directions are excellent.
P1000994.JPG

Another round trig looking west
Even at good lady’s pace only an hour 25 to the top. Ben More still has its top in cloud but super views of the rest of the range.
P1000996.JPG

Zoomed in on Bac Mor
In the distance the Treshnish Isles stand out in particular Bac Mor, the Dutchman’s cap. Over towards Ardnamurchan, Beinn Resipol is clear, on my list but not this week, and just below me is Loch Frisa. A large bird can be seen soaring in the distance, too far away to confirm which kind but certainly an eagle.
P1000978.JPG

Hiding butterfly
On the way down a male hen harrier flies low hunting the pipits and larks. A pair of wheatear chased by a raven. Lots of small heath butterflies and a couple of what I think are beautiful pearl bordered fritillary.
P1000999.JPG

Heavy fern growth, Ben More now cloud free
Back the same route until we reached the coos who were fully blocking the path with the calves and were no longer tranquil but agitated, lots of bellowing and movement. We took an avoidance detour just in case. It appeared the farmer was trying to round up some of the herd and the rest were not happy.
A great little Sub 2000 walk which I recommend.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland