walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 16/10/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 1200m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 16/10/2010
Title - Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach
Route - Anti-clockwise circuit
Weather - Nippy N breeze but otherwise great
People - Me
Time - 7 Hours
Distance - 12.4km
Ascent - 1200m

Spidean Mialach & Gleouraich gps track 16-10-2010.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Spidean Mialach & Gleouraich profile 16-10-2010.jpg

Apart from a short jaunt up Ben Rinnes it'd been well over 2 months since my last hill outing - far too long! Oppurtunity and a decent weather window opened and a plan was hatched to blow away the cobwebs prior to the upcoming WH meet. I'd eyed up these hills as we went along the South Glen Shiel Ridge earlier in the year. A stunning area and this route, being reasonable length and fairly easy going terrain, was just what I wanted to revive the legs.

Parked up and walking by 8am. Had a quick chat with a couple of other pairs at the start - all going clockwise round the circuit. Perfect - apart from passing half way round it felt like I was on my own all day. Easy enough route (easy to say now - I was huffing and puffing on the way up!). Paths most of the way, a keen eye shouldn't lose it but it's possible.

Nice views over Loch Quoich open up during the ascent toward Spidean Mialach

Plenty deer around

Coire Mheil

Coire Dubh

S to Ben Nevis

Gained the ridge and headed E toward the summit of Spidean Mialach

E from Spidean Mialach summit

W over Loch Quoich and into Knoydart

Summit pano - Loch Qouich (left), my route along ridge to Gleouraich (centre), South Glen Shiel Ridge (right). Click image to open large Image

SW over Loch Quoich

W to Ladhar Bheinn

The Ben beginning to hold on to the cloud

Pushed on along the ridge - a few simple scrambles (and some harder optional if you like...), past the 1006m top and what felt a steep ascent up to the summit of Gleouraich.

Looking back E along the ridge from Gleouraich

W over Loch Quoich

Looking W - zoomed in - I'm guessing this is the Isle of Rum in distant centre?

Glen Quoich

Loch Quoich

Time to get down. Began the steep descent (on a good zig-zagging path) toward the car

Allt Coire Peitireach

Nearly back at the car. Looking over Loch Quoich to Gairich

A cracking day out 8)

Stopped at various points on the drive out of the glen...... no rush to leave this...

Moon

Sunset

8)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Postby Stretch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:32 pm

That's one of your best reports Scott, awesome photos in all directions! I really need to spend some more time up that way next year.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kinley » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 pm

Aye - great area - some really great stalkers paths up these hills 8)
kinley

Postby monty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi HSC,
A great set of pictures you got there. These hills are pretty special to me. I done the four around loch Quoich two years ago which kick started my munro bagging. I went round clockwise for these two though. :D
monty

Postby mountain coward » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:26 am

Great photos - the ones I can see that is, which is about every 10th one! :( I'll have to have a re-read from home I think...

Looking forward to these 2, but not the ones on the other side of Loch Quoich - already failed on Gairich once on a winter ascent with a party where I ended up leading a party of abandonees back to the car! Basically, I got freaked out and said I was off and quite a few people came with me! :lol: The party was taking a slighly silly route though...
mountain coward

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Cheers folks :D

Stretch - I was stalking your munro map the other day actually - noticed you've rarely ventured to the other side of the great glen. When you get hooked on Torridon be sure to swing past Inverness for me :thumbup:

Monty - I recall reading about your trip to the area. A good spot to get away from it all.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby petejkenny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Great report - love the area.

Hey MC Gairich is lovely (but probably not in a snowstorm) - walk over from Loch Archaig, stay at Kinbreac bothy and knock em all off in a couple of days - sweet!
petejkenny

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:16   Islands:24

Postby malky_c » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:03 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: Been looking forward to this report - I think you posted a pic from it in the 'where's the pic' thread a couple of weeks back. Some lovely shots there, and a great place. Had one of my favourite days out this year just a couple of miles further west back in June.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mountain coward » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:36 am

petejkenny wrote:Great report - love the area.

Hey MC Gairich is lovely (but probably not in a snowstorm) - walk over from Loch Archaig, stay at Kinbreac bothy and knock em all off in a couple of days - sweet!

It was that very steep nose where I ended up turning back :( I think I'll still find it steep in grassier conditions but will probably be okay going up it. If I don't fancy coming back down that way, I'll probably just let Richard go back down the same way and descend the far end of the hill and come back through the glen behind back to join him (assuming I'm not on my own to do it but, having failed once already, I'll probably take him). Of course, if I do stay at Kinbreac, I won't have to go up the steep nose and can just do it from the back anyway - looks much easier from that end! But if I stay at the bothy, I'll definitely be on my own...

Malky - I always get that wrong and post pics on the "Where's the pic" threads after I've put them somewhere in a post - then people just end up looking them up!
:lol:
mountain coward

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland