walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chrulaiste, Kings House loop

Beinn a'Chrulaiste, Kings House loop

Postby iainR » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Date walked: 25/06/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.77 km

Ascent: 685m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done Munros in this area twice last year with workmate and fellow walker Big Jie and a visit to Buachaille Etive Mor planned later this summer i wanted to do something smaller on my own which would give me great views of the summits that i've bagged and far more of the summits i'd like to therefore Beinn a'Chrulaiste looked promising enough to do the job.
Making an earlyish start i arrived mid morning at a small layby just down the road from Altnafeidh, parked up and quickly crossed the A82 walking along the roadside until i found a gate which allowed me through to the open hillside. I instantly picked up a path which followed a fence around the side of the hill then began the steep ascent upwards. I found the path up the hill a bit haphazard and vague at times but with the very dry conditions it didn't really matter too much.
1 Start of the walk__.jpg
Start of the walk

Further up the hillside both Buachailles really came into view as did a small herd of feral goats a couple of which sported truly impressive horns but they completely ignored me, thankfully.
The climb began to level out a bit and the ground became a lot more stoney with small rock outcrops everywhere and once more i encountered a larger herd of the goats who again ignored me but the one thing that couldn't be ignored was the view of Buachaille Etive Mor which was stunning in the clear blue skies.
2 Looking down to the start__.jpg
Looking down to the start

3 Feral goats on the hillside__.jpg
Feral goats on the hillside

Exactly 90 minutes after leaving the car i was on the summit where a cool breeze kept the sun and any midges firmly in check. The views from here were amazing and i looked over my OS map and tried to identify as many hills as i could but the map just wasn't big enough !
4 Summit of Beinn a'Chrulaiste__.jpg
Summit of Beinn a'Chrulaiste

5 Obligatory shot of Buachaille Etive Mor__.jpg
Obligatory shot of Buachaille Etive Mor

To make a longer walk of it and enjoy the most of the weather i decided to descend to Kings House where the path again became really indistinct and the terrain got very rocky but it was mostly dry. I spotted an ATV track running alongside the Allt a'Bhalaich and made for that which then linked up with the WHW as it passed Kings House, i followed the WHW as it ran parallel with the A82 and led me back to my car.
6 Heading down__.jpg
Heading down

7 Towards Kings House__.jpg
Towards Kings House

8 Allt a'Bhalaich__.jpg
Allt a'Bhalaich

9 Beinn a'Chrulaiste from near Kings House__.jpg
Beinn a'Chrulaiste from near Kings House

10 The WHW leaves the access road__.jpg
The WHW as it leaves the access road

I found Beinn a'Chrulaiste a straightforward enough hill which gave great views of not just it's bigger neighbours but the expanse of Rannoch Moor as well.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:49   Corbetts:27
Grahams:23   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:21   

Re: Beinn a'Chrulaiste, Kings House loop

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Considerably less water than when I climbed it. Isn't it a fabulous view point? Your photos really do it justice
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:139
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58

Re: Beinn a'Chrulaiste, Kings House loop

Postby iainR » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks Sgurr, got lucky with the weather for my holiday week for a change.
iainR
Walker

Munros:49   Corbetts:27
Grahams:23   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:21   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland