walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cleuch XL via King's Seat Hill & The Nebit

Ben Cleuch XL via King's Seat Hill & The Nebit

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch, King's Seat Hill

Date walked: 08/06/2018

Time taken: 4.36 hours

Distance: 17.9 km

Ascent: 1153m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben-Cleuch.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was the weekend before I went away on holiday and with the Friday off and a walk planned for the Saturday, I wanted to get in another walk that would stretch the legs and wasn't too far away.

Enter the Ochils... having really enjoyed a stroll up Dumyat a few months ago I decided that Ben Cleuch would be my target as I could add in a Donald and some tops along with a Tump on a route I had planned that looked good fun and was an extension of the Circular walk on WH.

It was also very close from Glasgow and this afforded me a really enjoyable long lie, lazy afternoon and tea-time start by the time I dragged myself out! I enjoyed the Ochils getting larger on the approach as I drove to Alva, destination the Ochil Hills Woodland Park which was the ideal start and finish point for this longer loop.

Planning had shown that I had lots of route and path options which meant I could easily change plans if required. On a nice sunny evening I parked up, booted up and set off:
ImageDSC_8734 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The start was easy, walk along the road then path to Tillicoultry, enjoying the slightly elevated view south east on the way:
ImageDSC_8737 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I soon reached the mouth of Mill Glen, initially turning right and heading down towards the main road looking for a route through before turning back up this hill and through the streets to get back on track to head up the hillside on the right behind the houses:
ImageDSC_8743 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I was soon at the small park at the start of Mill Glen:
ImageDSC_8746 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A handy sign showed my route, marked as "Public right of way to Blackford" on the map:
ImageDSC_8747 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I headed right from the usual route into the steep sided glen and found the stairs heading uphill:
ImageDSC_8749 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8753 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I passed one woman on her way down at the start of the ascent and it was the last person i'd see until near the end of the walk. Progress was fast and I was soon enjoying a view east to Knock Hill and Saline Hill on my right:
ImageDSC_8764 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Passing the quarry on the left:
ImageDSC_8766 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path i'm on is high level compared to the others and the landscape is instantly appealing:
ImageDSC_8768 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

As I was admiring the view heading along the path I realised I should have been higher up, luckily others seem to have made the same mistake missing a split in the path and another split goes up a steeper section which I head up on the right:
ImageDSC_8771 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The view up Daiglen Burn:
ImageDSC_8777 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Law on the left, the path i'm heading up can be seen on the right going uphill:
ImageDSC_8779 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The summit of the Law:
ImageDSC_8788 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I'm gaining height quickly as I look back on the path up so far, with the River Forth and Alloa down below:
ImageDSC_8789 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's a bit of a slog up Elistoun Hill, on the right the Forth Bridges come into view through the haze...
ImageDSC_8797 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The cairn about halfway up the hillside on the way to Kings Seat Hill, The Law, Ben Cleuch, Whum Hill and Andrew Gannel Hill and on my left:
ImageDSC_8799 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Finally the path levels out and King's Seat Hill comes into view up ahead:
ImageDSC_8802 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The good grassy path eventually takes me to the fence and stile before the ascent up to the summit of King's Seat Hill:
ImageDSC_8811 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

First Donald in quite a while:
ImageDSC_8812 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I'm greeted by two cairns atop the summit:
ImageDSC_8817 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Further along is a larger one and shelter although not at the summit, I decide i'll head along there and have half a sandwich to enjoy the view south:
ImageDSC_8818 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking south east from the proper summit cairn:
ImageDSC_8822 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I then nip along to the bigger cairns:
ImageDSC_8827 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Nice viewpoint, south east!
ImageDSC_8828 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South west:
ImageDSC_8830 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The way ahead to Ben Cleuch and co.:
ImageDSC_8832 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Firth of Forth and the bridges, not good visibility this evening:
ImageDSC_8837 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At least it's warm and i'm enjoying the cool breeze on my bare legs! :lol:
ImageDSC_8839 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Having enjoyed my first pit stop it's time to set off again to the summit and back down the other side to begin the ascent of Andrew Gannel Hill:
ImageDSC_8849 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking down the Gannel Burn Glen, summits of the next two targets higher up:
ImageDSC_8853 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path dips down then rises again for a straightforward climb up the Ben Cleuch's Donald top Andrew Gannel Hill:
ImageDSC_8857 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tarmangie Hill to the east, another Donald for another day:
ImageDSC_8863 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

King's Seat Hill, Donald 1 in the bag:
ImageDSC_8864 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I'm soon at the summit and looking over towards the Law:
ImageDSC_8868 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

And Ben Cleuch:
ImageDSC_8870 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Panorama south west:
ImageDSC_8871 20180608_173558 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking north east at a local:
ImageDSC_8872 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's then an easy route to follow the fence along a grassy path towards the Law, I veer left taking another path that splits off from the one going to Ben Cleuch:
ImageDSC_8873 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Andrew Gannel Hill summit:
ImageDSC_8875 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path veering left soon takes me to the summit of the Law:
ImageDSC_8881 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8882 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8883 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Law summit cairn looking east:
ImageDSC_8885 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking up to Ben Cleuch, i'm roughly half way now:
ImageDSC_8886 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The view west is non-existent due to the bright sunlight and haze:
ImageDSC_8887 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It's a nice range the Ochils and so far i've had them to myself, probably quite rare! I admire the lines, curves, peaks and glens:
ImageDSC_8888 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Time to head for the main target now, another Graham/Marilyn/Donald and the daddy of the Ochils left to summit:
ImageDSC_8895 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Law behind me:
ImageDSC_8896 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I reach the fence then it's another straightforward climb up another excellent grassy path to the top:
ImageDSC_8900 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking south west I can now make out the summit of Dumyat:
ImageDSC_8902 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The viewpoint indicator, trig point and shelter come into view:
ImageDSC_8904 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I take some standard summit shots:
ImageDSC_8907 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8916 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8917 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8918 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Still not much to see west and north:
ImageDSC_8919 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_8922 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I sit down and finish my lunch/dinner snack while enjoying the view again:
ImageDSC_8926 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Conscious of the sun getting lower in the sky my instincts say it's time to head back down and i'm going to head for Ben Ever then finish with the Nebit on the way back down into Alva:
ImageDSC_8932 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Tillicoultry start point down the glen but i'll be heading down the other side of the hill on the right and into Alva Glen:
ImageDSC_8935 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Again I find a grassy path splitting off from the one heading to Ben Buck and i'm soon on my way down to then head up Ben Ever:
ImageDSC_8937 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I love the light at the end of the day, it always makes for good photos:
ImageDSC_8942 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Another stile to cross then an easy climb to Ben Ever summit:
ImageDSC_8946 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On approaching the summit cairn I see another human being... :shock: he's as surprised to see me as I am him! :lol:

We chat briefly and he says he doesn't normally see anyone else up here at this time of the evening before heading off downhill towards the Nebit in fell running mode... I decide to take some summit shots before ambling down after him! Ben Cleuch from Ben Ever:
ImageDSC_8950 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Law:
ImageDSC_8951 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ever also has 2 summit cairns and again I visit both, looking south:
ImageDSC_8955 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Distant Dumyat:
ImageDSC_8958 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Off I go again following yet another good grassy path, the Ochils are certainly well trodden!
ImageDSC_8959 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path turns right and i'm soon heading down the hillside towards The Nebit:
ImageDSC_8961 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Getting a bit clearer now:
ImageDSC_8964 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Another up and down, this time the last one of the day:
ImageDSC_8965 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I reach the track at the bottom and turn right to find the path going up The Nebit, then spot another angled towards the fence a part way up it and take that which leads me to the open gate, then it's just a short climb to the summit:
ImageDSC_8970 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back to Ben Ever, the path down, track and gate:
ImageDSC_8973 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Another short ascent from the photo spot and i'm atop The Nebit, Tump and final peak of the day:
ImageDSC_8975 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Now clearer visibility:
ImageDSC_8984 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A proper look at the Forth Bridges:
ImageDSC_8985 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I enjoy another break sitting at the cairn and soak in the view to Ben Cleuch one last time before heading back down:
ImageDSC_9003 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_9006 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

More good grassy path routes:
ImageDSC_9007 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It;s a steep wee hill but it makes for a fast descent this way, I use a pole to aid balance and assist the knees:
ImageDSC_9011 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Some arrows are burned into the path pointing up the way... seems fairly obvious where the path takes you if you ask me! :lol:
ImageDSC_9013 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Wood Hill and Rough Knowes on the left during the descent into Alva:
ImageDSC_9014 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On the right Stirling Castle, The Wallace Monument (Abbey Craig) and Carleatheran come into view:
ImageDSC_9024 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I reach the track at the bottom and just before it a lamb is hiding in the grass and doesn't spot me until i'm right next to it. The poor thing got up, bleated then started limping away so I moved past it and it posed for a pick with The Nebit behind it:
ImageDSC_9044 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Easy going now...
ImageDSC_9057 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Or so I thought! I almost slipped on this steep bend with loose stones:
ImageDSC_9061 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The view west again since I can see more that way now:
ImageDSC_9063 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The track soon reaches a post indicating it's time to turn left and head through the woods back to the Ochil Hills Woodland Park:
ImageDSC_9068 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Into the woods you cross a small bridge on the path then continue through, with the low sun creating nice light shafts in the trees:
ImageDSC_9075 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I'm back at the car park in no time, taking just over 4 and a half hours to do the 18km walk:
ImageDSC_9078 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I thoroughly enjoyed my first proper exploration of the Ochils and the route I took. Getting home before it was dark I ate a chippy and got a fairly early night as round two was up tomorrow with Iain and I due to head for the hills again and I would see how the legs would handle another long day out on a couple of Corbetts.... :crazy: :D
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Ben Cleuch XL via King's Seat Hill & The Nebit

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Very nice circuit and report. Goodness the vegetation has grown since I was there in early May. Lots of poring over old diaries of husband had revealed that while he had been a few times, & had done everything, I still needed Ben Ever, Tarmangie and White Wisp hills, which I am afraid I split into 2 days to complete the New Donalds. Looks as if you could snap up all the ones in this section from Glasgow.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Ben Cleuch XL via King's Seat Hill & The Nebit

Postby Chris Mac » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Sgurr wrote:Very nice circuit and report. Goodness the vegetation has grown since I was there in early May. Lots of poring over old diaries of husband had revealed that while he had been a few times, & had done everything, I still needed Ben Ever, Tarmangie and White Wisp hills, which I am afraid I split into 2 days to complete the New Donalds. Looks as if you could snap up all the ones in this section from Glasgow.

Cheers Sgurr, yeah it was an enjoyable route and you could easily add in Tarmangie Hill, I was tempted if I had more time but also fancy doing that and Innerdownie from Glen Devon.

It was a very green walk, glad I went there just before a week on Mars, I mean Fuerteventura, a few days later! :)

Enjoy the walk when you return!
Chris Mac

Munros:61   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland