walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Bheinn Mhor and Stob Coir'an Albannaich walk

Glas Bheinn Mhor and Stob Coir'an Albannaich walk

Postby U059361 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Glas Bheinn Mhòr, Stob Coir an Albannaich

Date walked: 25/06/2018

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15.6 km

Ascent: 1395m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be a double munro walk and if time bag the little Meall at the end for three. I ran out of time so a double it was.
Followed the path to Starav but instead of going over the burn at the cascade I kept on the same side and climbed up the glen. This is the return route for Glas Bheinn Mhor when done with Ben Starav. However, I didn't want to walk past it then come back again to go over to Albannaich. So I walked up Coire Dubh instead. I turned off the worn path where a faint path left it heading in the direction I wanted to go but I lost it and followed as near to the Allt Choire Dhuibh as possible. I could see a faint path on the other side but didn't think it was worth the effort of getting over there. Maybe I should have. It is energy sapping walking over rough ground. I kept to dry parts with little vegetation for as much as possible. The climb up out of the coire was uneventful but steep and I was glad to get to the bealach. Great views all round now and that made the final ascent that bit easier. I had lunch here at 1pm. By 2:30pm I was at the top of Albannaich. At 3pm I was down on the rock pavement at the bealach and that was my return time. So I walked down the pavement, it was too much to resist. Made very good time too, sorry to have to get back on the worn path back down the glen and the trudge back to the car park.Back at 5pm, right on schedule.
ImageBen Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor from car aprk by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Starav & Glas Bheinn Mhor from Coire Dubh by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn nan Aighenan and ridge path by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBen Starav from Glas Bheinn Mhor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageBeinn nan Aighenan from Glas Bheinn Mhor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageGlas Bheinn Mhor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageGlas Bheinn Mhor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coir'an Albannaich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coir'an Albannaich view to Stob Ghabhar by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coir'an Albannaich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStob Coir'an Albannaich from rocks below by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageRock pavement view to Glen Coe by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland