walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Narnain - Beinn Ime is not going anywhere!!!

Beinn Narnain - Beinn Ime is not going anywhere!!!

Postby suhowfar » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 am

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 07/11/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 926m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first real attempt at one of my walk posts :? . I’ve only been walking and using this site for a few weeks now, which may I add is a great site for not only sharing experiences, but also a fantastic site for gaining knowledge on pros and cons of walks that others have both attempted and completed :) .

Thanks goes to Jockstar for getting me into the Munro bug, I’ve soon found out each one gives you a real buzz and quickly becomes a challenge and fantastic addiction :crazy: .

Well here goes for my report ……

Jockstar and myself were planning which Munros to walk for the forthcoming weekend, when Stretch and Jockstar made contact and decided we should all meet up along with Gammy Leg Walker and his two Spaniels (the guys had all previously met at the Glencoe meet the previous week, unfortunately I had missed out on that weekend).
It was a great opportunity for me to meet the rest of the guys and it was decided we were going to walk Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime.

We arranged to meet Stretch at 6:45am on the Sunday in Perth (unfortunately after a bit of a late start we met up about 7:30am, due to myself doing 2 long walks the previous day with Jockstar, my legs did not want to wake up on the Sunday, I will get fit soon with all this walking :? , sorry for late start guys!). We would then meet up with Gammy Leg Walker in the car park at the bottom of the start of the walk at Loch Long. Stretch and Gammy Leg Walker seemed like two really nice guys, who would later be a great support to me along with Jockstar.

After introducing ourselves in the car park we were soon on our way up the stream through the forrest, bit hard going as a warm up, but taking a look back across Loch Long and Ben Lomond soon put a quick step in our stride (after stopping for a few photo opportunities, not to be missed).

IMGP4227.JPG
View to Loch Long

IMGP4220.JPG
Jockstar starting the climb

IMGP4221.JPG
suhowfar warming up at the start of the walk

IMGP4232.JPG
Loch long

IMGP4219.JPG
Sretch & Gammy Leg Walker setting the pace

IMGP4236.JPG
Sunshine on the way up

IMGP4241.JPG
Small cave spotted on the way

IMGP4244.JPG
Stunning views! Looks ready to roll, hope not !!!

IMGP4246.JPG
Jockstar, Stretch & Gammy Leg Walker (with Doggies) taking in the views

IMGP4247.JPG
Cobbler

IMGP4255.JPG
Are we really going up there guys, suhowfar asks!

It was then I realised what the guys meant by ‘scramble’ as we reached a few scrambles (which I would later learn were ‘a walk in the park’ for what was ahead of us!) The look on my face must have spoken volumes :eh: . I heard them all reassuring me, but also saying these were a small taster of the walk ahead!!! Bit worried now but looking forward to the challenge and knew I was with a good bunch of guys (and 2 doggies) that would help me to complete it and get back safely.

IMGP4256.JPG
Well on our way up now, or so Su thought!!

We eventually came to a flat piece with fantastic views, which I had described to me as “the Spearhead and Cobbler” ‘wow’ what stunning views, I had never seen anything so breathtaking. I then realised we were going up another scramble! I know now what Stretch and Gammy Leg Walker were saying about Jockstar when they earlier referred to the look on Jockstar’s face as ‘the scramble fever look’ his eyes lit up when he started the ascent :crazy:

What I thought was the last part to reach the summit was the worst for me as I am not too good at all with heights, and this was a thin gully we had to climb our way up, which was slippery with the ice.

IMGP4261.JPG
OMG Guys you want Su to go up there!!!Eeek

IMGP4262.JPG
Come on Mrs Jockstar (aka suhowfar) you can make it up here calls out Mr Jockstar, Stretch & Gammy Leg Walker..

Thanks to all you guys for helping me up there, to Gammy Leg Walker for guiding me safely through to avoid the ice, Jockstar for pushing me up onto ledges and guiding me and especially Stretch for reaching out and taking my shaking hand and pulling my up the last part :? .

As it turned out the last part was although fairly rocky was flat, great relief to me!

IMGP4264.JPG
The guys leading the way to the summit

IMGP4265.JPG
Gammy Leg Walker, Stretch & Jockstar at the summit (& Doggies)

IMGP4266.JPG
Gammy Leg Walker, Suhowfar & Stretch at the summit with Doggies

IMGP4267.JPG
Mr & Mrs (aka suhowfar) Jockstar at the summit

It was all worth it when we reached the summit, I was over come with joy, what an achievement by us all :D . I had forgot we now had to get down and do the next one eeek!!! :shock:

IMGP4270.JPG
On the way down

We had lunch and even the two doggies got a well earned reward, a steak pie each, (low fat of course Mrs Gammy Leg Walker, as I understand they are on a strict diet!). We also enjoyed a treat from Gammy Leg Walker by way of sugar jelly worm sweets, very tasty.

After a fairly rocky and slippery walk down, we made it to the bealach.

It was there that the guys all made the decision not to continue onto Beinn Ime. I was a bit relieved as by now I was shattered, but felt that as I was the slowest of the group that I had prevented them from completing the next Munro. That said they all reassured me we set out as a group, and the go at the pace of the slowest in the group, it was not a problem at all, we had all had a fantastic walk and day, also Beinn Ime will be there for another day… :D

IMGP4272.JPG
Jockstar, Stretch & Gammy Leg Walker nearing the end of a fantastic day

IMGP4275.JPG
Great views

We got back to the car park after walking an easier path back, and with boots off said our good byes and said we would all meet up again hopefully soon.

IMGP4287.JPG
Sign at the bottom

IMGP4289.JPG

IMGP4290.JPG

IMGP4293.JPG
Post showing all the above signs

This was a fantastic walk for me and helped me gain valuable walking experiences. My thanks to Jockstar, Stretch and Gammy Leg Walker and his two Spaniels (who were so well behaved throughout the whole day, never leaving his heels, excellent training by Mr & Mrs Gammy Leg Walker) for all you help, assistance, guidance and support. Hope to see you again soon guys. :thumbup:
Last edited by suhowfar on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Munros:35   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Beinn Narnain - Beinn Ime will be another day!!!

Postby Jockstar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 am

I think you have done a great report with some great photos and captured the atmosphere of the climb, especially when it came to your growing confidence in doing the scrambly bit! great effort on your first report and a greater effort on a pretty difficult and challenging walk. However, we have still got unfinished business with Beinn Ime !! :D BTW...the talk of just one more scramble wasn't mentioned in the report.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6

Re: Beinn Narnain - Beinn Ime is not going anywhere!!!

Postby suhowfar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks for the positive feedback Jockstar. It’s hard knowing which photos to place in reports, there are so many stunning views there :D . Not sure if it was confidence or determination by me to get to the summit that helped on the scrambles! :crazy: The challenges faced on the walk by me were made a bit easier to over come with support and assistance by yourself, Stretch and Gammy Leg Walker. :D

Yes you are right the “just one more scramble” saying by you guys should have been in the report, that saying I will never forget :crazy:
As for the unfinished business we have with Beinn Ime, can’t wait, bring it on……………:thumbup:
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 am

love the report and pictures Sue, very well done! That sign post was interesting, lovely :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1

Postby suhowfar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks merry-walker. Really enjoyed this one, so glad that Bri has got me into this :D , I’m enjoying every minute of it .
Never thought I was fit enough, just shows what you can achieve :crazy: .

Yeah like you, I liked the sign post. It’s really good when they have signs like these to show the history of the Munro and the walk :thumbup: . I thought I would share the history of it for anyone who has not been there yet! :D
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:18 am

What a great report Suhowfar,
I enjoyed reading the other reports on this mini meet but they are not as good as this one :D . Well done you on the scrambling, that must have been quite a shock :lol: . Excellent pictures too. Don't beleive them when they say the munros become addictive. :D I can stop when i want :lol:
monty

Postby suhowfar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks monty for the confidence boost, this was my first real report and was a bit hard knowing what to put as there were so many events from the day :D

The scrambles, the hard yet impressive rock faces and so many breathtaking views all too much to take in, in a short while, each walk is so totally different and very impressive.

I am still new to walking the munros :? , so possibly still in the addiction stage, unlike yourself who has managed to conquer so many! May I say an impressive great achievement by you, please don’t stop when you have reached so many summits :thumbup: !
Only 134 to go for you :wink: ! Ooops that sounds so many, but think of me, only 278 to go for me….Eeeek :eh: , that’s a lot of scrambles!!! :crazy:
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Postby monty » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Suhowfar,
I can stop when i want :lol:
That was tongue in cheek :wink:
monty

Postby suhowfar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:18 am

Yeah guesssed that monty, just wanted to remind you how far you still have to go :lol: , but don't worry I still have a long, long way to go.................
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Postby suhowfar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:24 pm

IMGP4240.JPG
Any suggestions?

IMGP4239.JPG
Any clues?

Can anyone shed any light for me:

While we were walking up Beinn Narnain I spotted this beautiful plant with it's deep rustic like colours. It was damp and sponge like to touch. I have been trying to find out the name of it since Sunday and can not seem to find any reference to it's name. It's just that curiosity is getting the better of me :problem: ... anyone out the know :? ?
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Postby magicdin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:44 pm

suhowfar wrote:
IMGP4240.JPG

IMGP4239.JPG

Can anyone shed any light for me:

While we were walking up Beinn Narnain I spotted this beautiful plant with it's deep rustic like colours. It was damp and sponge like to touch. I have been trying to find out the name of it since Sunday and can not seem to find any reference to it's name. It's just that curiosity is getting the better of me :problem: ... anyone out the know :? ?

Sphagnum Moss perhaps
http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/education/sphagnum%20moss.pdf
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby suhowfar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 pm

That's the exact same plant :D . Many thanks magicdin, I was so curious what it was called :? . Thanks for such a quick reply, much appreciated :D :D
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Postby Alan S » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Yes great report there suhowfar you seem to have got the bug big time now :)
Love that photo of the 3 guys on the cobbler path,Even though gammy leg is quite tall he looks like a wee boy next to stretch :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby suhowfar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks Alan :D Yep I sure have got the bug big style now and also enjoying using this site :D .
It's great to talk to all you guys n' gals out there that have a lot more experience than me :? , it helps! :crazy:
Jockstar and myself are out walking every weekend at the moment, weather permitting :D

Think in the photo of the 3 guys on the cobbler path Jockstar was trying to aim high, and look taller than the rest on the guys, even Stretch :lol:

I Have Put my nane down for Aviemore meet in March :D , as unfortunately I missed out on Glencoe weekend :( . Can’t wait, really looking forward to it already…… :lol: :thumbup: .
suhowfar
Mountaineer

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Great 1st report there suhowfar,glad you enjoyed your day,Mrs glw only gives me one piece of advice when I take out our dogs bring the two back or don"t bother coming back,not sure if she means but would not like to find out as I suspect she would :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland