walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Roasting on the Spearhead

Roasting on the Spearhead

Postby iainR » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 29/06/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1055m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The final day of a sweltering hot week off from work found me in Arrochar with Beinn Narnain in my sights. It was my first Munro and in the 18 years since then i'd climbed it several times almost on a par with my ascents of its iconic neighbour, The Cobbler. What was always a factor in my love of the Arrochar Alps apart from the cracking views was the ease of access and journey time from where i live in Hamilton and in the latter half of this weeks temperatures i just couldn't face an epic drive anywhere, hence Arrochar.
After meeting up with Marc AKA nephew # 1 in the main Arrochar car park we set off towards the zigzag access path at around 10am when temperatures were already rising fast. By the time we emerged from the trees it was getting hot and i was relieved when we turned off the main path and began walking along the fairly level dirt track towards the top of the original hill access route at the base of Narnain. It was here we encountered a hill path construction crew and their multiple big white bags of stones, i didn't envy those guys today.
1 Arrochar and Loch Long shimmering in the heat__.jpg
Arrochar and Loch Long shimmering in the heat

2 Path construction work__.jpg
Path construction work

The rest of the climb up to Cruach nam Miseag was definitely a slog in that heat for me anyway as Marc was constantly racing ahead then looking back no doubt checking to see if i was still alive !
Once we were on the crags a cool breeze took off a bit of the heat but there was never any shade and the sun was really hammering down so i was glad i packed extra liquid in lieu of my usual fleece and waterproofs. The views of The Cobbler from here were great with almost every detail visible.
3 Marc on a crag as usual__.jpg
Marc on a crag as usual

4 The Cobbler__.jpg
The Cobbler

The breeze completely disappeared heading down towards the Spearhead area and the brutal heat returned making the scrambling section a bit of an effort, again Marc was in his element here even looking for harder ways up !
Once we were out of the gully the breeze came back and remained for our entire stay on the summit where the views never get old for me.
5 The heat is on__.jpg
The heat is on

6 Marc in the gully__.jpg
Marc in the gully

7 Summit of Beinn Narnain__.jpg
Summit of Beinn Narnain

Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich__.jpg
Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich

Our return route was the northwest path over the boulder field where we linked up with a newish looking path which led down to Bealach a'Mhaim and the main gravel track back to Arrochar which seemed to last forever in that heat.
8 The route down__.jpg
The route down

The Arrochar Alps was where i also introduced Marc to proper hillwalking with The Cobbler several years ago followed by his first Munro Ben Vane and he has gone on to do a few more including Ben Nevis but i think he was pleasantly surprised by Beinn Narnain today despite the heat.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland