walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Leaving the crowds behind -- Bioda Buidhe & Quiraing

Leaving the crowds behind -- Bioda Buidhe & Quiraing

Postby dbogosian » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:04 am

Route description: Bioda Buidhe

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bioda Buidhe

Date walked: 29/05/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 240m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Being on Skye, we had to see the Quiraing, but fortunately I had done my WH research and had read about the Bioda Buidhe side trip as well. We did both, with Biod Buidhe first which worked out great; by the time we got to the Quiraing most of the tourists had left. I'll leave the Quiraing aside for now, and focus mainly on the Bioda Buidhe bit.

The walk is short, reasonably sloped, and easily done. The rewards are manifold, not only in the solitude of where you are, but also the views in all directions which are excellent. Best of all, when you turn back and eventually go to the Quiraing, you can look back at this fabulous hill with all its scalloped edges and say, "I climbed that!"

Leaving the parking lot, you head up the slope on what starts out as a well trodden path. The cliff side has several indentations, and it wasn't clear to me which was the actual summit we were headed for. I guess my map reading skills need some improvement. Just follow the path and, when it peters out, head for the highest point you can reasonably get to, and you won't go wrong.
s368.JPG
From the parking area, looking towards Bioda Buidhe (the one in the furthest distance)

s367.JPG
The outcrop of Cleat (on left)

The route follows the edge of the cliffs, so you have great views all along that keep evolving as your perspective changes. Pretty soon you are where you can see the summit of Bioda Buidhe and the cliff on its face.
s369.JPG
Bioda Buidhe's cliff face

Saw this interesting rocky outcrop along the way: looked just like the head of a ram to me! I wonder if anyone has named this rock yet? If not, I claim that privilege; Ram Rock it shall be.
s374.JPG
Head of a ram?

When you are at the summit, the views on either side are terrific, as well as the view out to the sea.
s371.JPG
View south from the hilltop

s373.JPG
View north from the hilltop

s382.JPG
Looking east to the sea and the mainland peaks beyond

Returning to the parking lot is an easy walk too, with the added benefit that you always have the Quiraing in view and getting closer with each step.
s376.JPG
Heading for Quiraing

Going past the parking lot and onto the Quiraing trail, you eventually get to the Needle and the surrounding other formations which are quite surreal. Hard to imagine a piece of rock that thin can still be standing.
s386.JPG
The Needle and other formations

But in my opinion, Bioda Buidhe outshines the Quiraing; it is best seen perhaps from halfway down the Quiraing trail, as in the photo below. The scene is so interesting, not only because of the cliff on the seaward side, but also the flat but heavily sloped surface of these uplands.
s377.JPG
Farewell look at Bioda Buidhe (at far right)
dbogosian
Mountain Walker

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland