walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sron na Muic - longer walk from Invermoriston than I thought

Sron na Muic - longer walk from Invermoriston than I thought

Postby gld73 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:56 am

Route description: Sròn na Muic, Invermoriston

Date walked: 31/05/2016

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 23.75 km

Ascent: 508m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Done after finishing on-call shift at Fort Augustus/Invermoriston. Solo walk, good weather. I had a new pair of walking shoes to try out/break in and thought the hill directly above Invermoriston would be a good short walk for this - the hill looks steep from the hotel, but there had to be a route up which wasn't route 1 straight up the steep forestry slopes.

There was (the WH route) ..... I never suspected that getting to the top would be such a long walk though. I was sure I'd missed the turn off up the hill as I seemed to be walking down the glen beside the river for miles, but I persevered and it was indeed that length. The track up is decent (not surprising, given all the hardware at the summit), though at a junction I took a wrong route as the WH instructions were ambiguous. Fortunately it was obvious I was heading away from the hill so soon rectified that mistake.

The summit has a mast and compound, so isn't scenic itself - however, turning your back to all that and just looking out to the views, it's a good viewpoint. The summit area isn't visible from Invermoriston so it was misleading from the village as to how high and long the walk would be. But my new shoes were comfortable, so a long walk on easy terrain was perfect :)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland