walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby Bruadair » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 25/09/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first Munro, which I desided I would do following a few days holiday in Onich, which included a partial walk up Nevis.

Date of 25th september was pencilled in....alarm was set for 4.00am and it was up and off to Fort William for a life changing event. I arrived at visitor center car park around 7.45am and set off at 8.05am and some 35 minutes later, I was flattened against a rock, thinking my world was about to end and wondering what i had let myself in for or if I was ever going to make it any further.

After a rest and some fluid intake, the sickly feeling that came over me passed and off I set again...problem was I had set off a too quick of a pace, which caught up with me a bit. The assent was taking it's toll as I cramped up a few times, which in the main was as a result of pushing a pen for too long. I managed to work through cramps courtesy of a number of breaks and stretches and at around 12.30 I reached a cloud covered summit.

After approx 10 minutes of wandering about the summit...and as if by magic...the cloud cleared to open up some spectacular views in every direction I looked....and it was then I thought....this will do me.
Attachments
PICT0052(2).JPG
PICT0022.JPG
PICT0016.JPG
PICT0014.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby skuk007 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Pick a nice small one to start off with then. :lol:
Well done for making it and continuing when you thought it was all over.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby petejkenny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Well done - I'll always take my hat off to those thousands who slog their way up the ben and then back down again when It's their first and probably for most only big hill - the determination!
petejkenny

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:16   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 am

congratulations on your first - after this you'll find quite a few easier hills :lol: Ben Nevis is on my to do list - must try next year :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bruadair » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:55 am

skuk007 wrote:Pick a nice small one to start off with then. :lol:
Well done for making it and continuing when you thought it was all over.

I thought it was all over on way down..........I was about crying...thought my knees were going to explode and it took me until Thursday before I stopped hobbling, but as I said it was a life (style) changing event as I've been out every weekend since....taking in Tinto weekend after Nevis follwed by Beinn Glhas & Ben Lawers, Ben Chonzie, Ben Vorlich, Stuchd an Lochain and last weekend Schiehallion...still looking for something for this wekend.
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland