walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fiona Bheinn with the wee lad.

Fiona Bheinn with the wee lad.

Postby bacon1981 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Route description: Fionn Bheinn, Achnasheen

Munros included on this walk: Fionn Bheinn

Date walked: 01/07/2018

Time taken: 3.75 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My son Adam (9) asked if he could come up a Munro with me. I choose Fionne Bheinne as it wasn't to high or too long a walk, I didn't want to put him off with a slog of a hill. The weather was fantastic this weekend woke the loon up at 5ish so we could get going before it got too hot.
Into the station car park and walking at 7. After crossing the road and past the dog kennel the small signs mark the way to the kissing gate which takes you up the right side of the burn. There is a track that winds up the other side for 4x4 access I think it's for Scottish water, we avoided this route on the way up because of the sheep and having the dog.
The first part has a faint path which follows the burn a few steep bits but nothing challenging apart from the amount of Cleggs. Not sure what the concrete dam thing is at the top of the hill but this is where the other track finishes. The walk across the flatter Heather was easier going but I would imagine that if the weather had been wetter it would be very boggy. Started up the next steeper climb we saw the only other person for the morning heading for the summit. The summit was great when we reached it amazing landscapes from every angle. The descent was much quicker Adam wasn't needing as many breather breaks. Got back to that concrete dam and decided to try going back down the track. Kept lizzie the dog on a short lead and headed for the car. A great morning out and very proud that Adam managed his first munro with no complaining. Hopefully we will get more in the future.
bacon1981
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:3

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland