walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strathfarrar 4 t'other way round

Strathfarrar 4 t'other way round

Postby martin.h » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 17/06/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1600m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Holidays again, Cannich was our first port of call with the newly acquired caravan, we had our fingers crossed for good weather especially for the Strathfarrar 4 on Sunday.

I posted on the meet up board for this one and had a good response from
Martin (FifeFlyer)
George (dibs)
Parminder (parminder)
Stan (sunshine65) and
Andy (AJNicholls)

After several PM's backwards and forwards and in different directions we arranged to meet at the gate to the estate at
9:30 am, everybody turned up on time which was brilliant considering the distance people had to travel, just shows how the experts have honed their timing skills to perfection :lol:
Seven people and four cars in total so no problem with logistics, two at each end, sorted :D

Martin had done this walk the WH way round and suggested we did todays in reverse to get different views, that suited everybody so we piled off to the beginning of the walk at the end (if you know what I mean) :lol: got ready and set off up the excellent track towards Loch Toll a' Mhuic and the bealach below Sgurr Fhuar-Thuill.

Nice waterfall.
ImageDSC01468 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Good track
ImageDSC01469 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01470 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Advance party
ImageDSC01471 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01472 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01473 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01475 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Come on Martin, put the camera away
ImageDSC01476 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01477 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

The weather was ok, there was cloud covering the summits but no rain or threat of it.
On arrival at the bealach we walked into the clag so the first summit was clagged out a bit breezy and coolish, the gloves were added to stave off the chill for most but the real hard man with us decided to shed a layer or two.

Show off :lol:
ImageDSC01483 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01479 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01480 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

I've got the map
ImageDSC01481 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

After a snack and photo's we set off for Sgurr a' Choire Ghlas via Creag Ghorm a' Bhealaich which was once a munro I was told. This part of the walk was over fairly steep and rugged ground.

ImageDSC01484 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01486 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01485 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01487 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01488 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

The trig pillar and summit cairn on Sgurr a' choire Ghlas was a welcome sight, still in the clag however. Martin wasn't getting his views.
ImageDSC01490 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Me and Denise
ImageDSC01491 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

It was as we left the summit heading for Bealach Sneachda when the clouds decided to reveal our surroundings, everybody stopped to take photo's, it was great to see things.

The summit of Carn nan Gobhar is a rounded boulder field, awkward to walk on so care is needed.

ImageDSC01492 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We could see our final summit Sgurr na Ruaidihe away to the SE, it looked a big lump but the path to the summit was plain to see.

It's a 240m descent into Bealach nam Botaichean and almost the same for the ascent to the summit of
Sgurr na Ruaidihe, my legs were feeling it by the time I arrived.
ImageDSC01493 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC01494 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Well, that was four munros in the bag, all that was left to do was the long walk back to the cars, the weather was good although not that warm, the company was excellent, it's a nice change for Denise and I to be part of a group, many thanks to Martin, George, Parminder, Stan and Andy for joining us, lets hope we can get together again in the near future :D

We were going to tackle the Mullardoch 4 the day after but chickened out because of the 60mph wind gusts on the tops, we weren't bothered though, it's just the excuse we need to return to this lovely part of Scotland.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland