walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morning walk on Dumglow

Morning walk on Dumglow

Postby rob munbett » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumglow

Date walked: 02/07/2018

Distance: 6.8 km

Ascent: 185m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After breakfast, I drove round from Scotlandwell to the start of the rough road to Loch Glow on the minor road south from Cleish. I parked in the lay-by at the start of the road because I assumed, correctly, that the car park at Loch Glow itself would be for anglers only. Anyway, the stroll to the loch was pleasant enough and quick. I had decided to walk along the north shore of the loch so I crossed the bridge over the outflow and came to a style over a fence with a sign for Dumglow.
P1030985(1).JPG
The walk along the north shore of Loch Glow
Over this, I followed a good track round to the start of the forest on the north shore. here, I had to drop down, over a barbed wire fence (no style - the first of several!) to the shore where I followed another good path round to the west end of the loch. This time, there was a style and I followed the line of the old wall, again on a fairly good path, to Black Loch.
P1030973(1).JPG
Black Loch and Dumglow
Dumglow pan(1).JPG
The slopes of Dumglow from Black Loch
Here, things became a bit more awkward because the route to the hill went through reed beds which was a no-go so it was over yet more barbed fences and circumventing a boggy section to reach the start of the steep climb up the grassy slopes to the top of the hill. I must admit that it was a bit of a struggle in the heat and I was glad that it was a short, sharp ascent. All that remained was a gentle stroll over to the summit trig and cairn to enjoy the views of yesterday's hills and a very nice view of the Ochils.
P1030980(1).JPG
The summit of Dumglow looking over to Benarty and Bishop Hills
I returned to the car by the same route.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:91   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland