walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee Bookil then Papped

Wee Bookil then Papped

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:15 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 01/07/2018

Time taken: 3.6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This little outing was planned to coincide with George's gang tackling the dreaded Aonach Eagach, I offered to be the duty driver at the other end of the ridge.
The fantastic summer of sunshine was still ongoing and Colin later reported that the temperature on the ridge had reached 30deg, which explains why I was struggling ascending the Pap after the Wee Bookil.
The plan was for me to ferry Kev & George would squish the rest in his large machine. I had arranged to pick Kev up at the P&R and meet George on the A985 just after Valleyfield. All went according plan and we stopped for a bacon roll and a coffee at the Green Welly.
As I expected Glencoe was already busy when we arrived at about 9.15 and George wasn't able to park in the normal parking area, so had to walk an extra 50m. Once Kev was ready I departed and wished them all well and headed off to my car park.
My car park was bigger and only had about 4 free spaces, once ready I was on my way. The path starts just at the edge of the car park and is probably one of the best constructed. Ascending you don't really notice the amount of work that had been done, on the descent is becomes very obvious - as it is like coming down the stairs at home. Umpteen large stones have been placed and make the descent very easy, however as you reach the bottom you do appreciate a different surface.
The plan was to regroup on the Pap of Glencoe, which in theory was doable and a good plan, however the scorching conditions had other ideas.

Looking west down Glencoe from the car park for AE

Wee Bookil car park

Am Bodach on the AE

Not much water, selfie

Bidean

AE

Stob Coire Raineach, 2nd summit for me

Wee and Big Bookil

The Ben

Grey Corries

Bidean

1st summit Stob Dubh

Big Bookil

The Ben and co

Loch Etive and Ben Starav

Etive zoomed

Bidean

The Ben again

2nd summit again

AE ridge

360deg shot from summit of Stob Dubh

Big Bookil

Looking back to Stob Dubh and Bidean

Looking back to the 1st summit from the 2nd

Looking down on Glencoe

After a shade over 3 & half hours I was back at the car, I was very, very hot as was the car when I opened the door and the boot. I had already consumed the majority of my 3lit of juice and with hindsight should have filled it up in the burn higher up.
So it was now a drive down through Glencoe that was absolutely heaving with cars and buses all parked and why some of these folk want to sit in a car park is beyond me.
Now I thought I knew where the car park for the Pap was, however it turned out I didn't - after a bit of driving round the village I found it and then set off on part 2 of the day. The temperature was in the high 20's and it wasn't too long before I was beginning to think this wasn't such a good idea. There are umpteen paths going in various directions and there is a sign pointing you in the right direction for the Pap.

The path, all very green

The Pap along way off and along way up

Gradual ascent

Low level shot of Loch Leven

South

Still a long way off

Slightly higher shot of L/L

Highest shot of L/L, would be turning back now

Locals

Last shot

Heather

Wild rose

Wild rose bush

I had been in touch with George to let him know I was going to head back to the car, I reached 270m and was out of juice completely. George and his colleagues were yet to reach the 2nd summit on the AE so I was going to have quite a wait. I was just going to dawdle back to the car and when I reached it, like before it was absolutely roasting, I had a bottle of juice in the car but it was very warm, in fact almost hot.
We eventually all met up at about 6pm and then headed off to the Clachaig for a well earned drink and a meal.
Great day in un Scottish like conditions. Next is An Socach near Braemar for Lynne's compleation.
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Wee Bookil then Papped

Postby dibs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:45 pm

It was unbelievably hot Martin even on the AE, no wind just sun sun and more sun.

George
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland