walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Coire an Lochain

Meall Coire an Lochain

Postby McMole » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Coire an Lochain

Date walked: 23/06/2018

Time taken: 5.1 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 550m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In Elphin for a Midsummer BBQ I started walking from the hut at 8:30am with two objectives. The first was to bag the Marilyn of Meall Coire an Lochain: the second to visit some of the local limestone caves and obtain more precise NGRs for their entrances. The early start was an attempt to avoid showers predicted for the afternoon. That didn't work!
Meall Coire an Lochain route  Nb s.gif
My first stop was at Cold Water Cave where some of the flow of the Abhainn a'Chnocain flows through a meander along a set of crawls.
P1020746 s.JPG
Cold Water Cave's main entrance
From there I headed south then west to join the track from Knockan. At the junction a post bore a very weather-beaten sign that with fore-knowledge and imagination could be interpreted as pointing to 'CAVES'.
P1020750 s.JPG
The track passes a 5m deep blind shakehole on the right then a fenced off vertical shaft on the left. Seventy metres later as the track turns to the northeast a path leads off to the south.
P1020752 s.JPG
First three posts visible on the path to Uamh Mhor
This is marked by a series of widely spaced white-topped posts and passes a large shakehole on the right to arrive at Uamh Mhor, a large open shaft.
P1020754 s.jpg
Some 40m to the south and 20m lower the whole of the Ahhainn a'Chnocain flows into Uamh an Tartair which at 135m is the longest cave known in the Knockan area. The river can be seen flowing across the bottom of Uamh Mhor before it vanishes into more cave passage on its way to a sump.
P1020757 s.JPG
Looking downhill at the stream flowing into Uamh an Tartair 20m below my feet
Leaving the caves behind I headed fairly directly for the summit of Meall Coire an Lochain. A few small diversions to avoid the more watery patches were needed, but most of the way was drier than expected.
Meall Coire an Lochain route  Sb s.gif
As I reached 400m altitude at 10am the first shower of the day approached, a waterproof jacket was extracted from my pack, and visibility dropped markedly. At the summit trig point views were almost non-existent.
P1020760 s.JPG
Summit, trig point and no view
Exposed to the full force of quite a strong wind I almost thought about searching my pack for a pair of gloves. One positive result of the wind was absolutely no midge or cleg problem all day. Not one single one was spotted - a rare and welcome Assynt experience!

I continued south for 150m to the lower top and there stopped in the shelter of a large boulder for a snack and a drink. With cloud still surrounding me I headed for my next stop - Betula Hole. Again the moor was dry and animal tracks helped lead me the 2.8km to the birch tree marking the cave.
P1020769 s.JPG
A tree marks the spot
P1020770 s.JPG
Betula Hole's entrance
Measurements completed I slid down into the entrance to take a photograph.
P1020767-8 s.jpg
Looking out of Betula Hole
The continuing wet crawl leading to the main chamber did not, however, tempt me. I had been there before.

After checking another crawl entrance some 35m to the west I followed the limestone ridge northwards without seeing anything else speleological. I then headed west to walk alongside then cross a fence only to find a gate at the next corner where the track shown on the OS maps starts. I followed it to join up with my morning's route and continued along it to Knockan and thence along the main road and back to my start point.

And there was drizzle during our BBQ. Not enought to discourage us from cooking outside. It did mean all eating was done in comfort inside, and again the wind meant no midge problem.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland