walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgùrr Breac and A' Chailleach - a warm-up

Sgùrr Breac and A' Chailleach - a warm-up

Postby zatapathique » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Breac & A' Chailleach: Western Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Fannichs), Sgùrr Breac

Date walked: 26/05/2018

Time taken: 7.6 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 1130m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The tale of these two Munros, serving as a warm-up for my 2018 trip to Scotland, is quickly told. The walk itself was rather boring, though with some interesting ridge sections and lots of nice views, especially given the beautiful weather. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

IMGP5431.JPG
Some lingering fog below Sgùrr nan Clach Geala

IMGP5433 - IMGP5436 Pano.jpg
Looking back to Loch a' Bhraoin and the forest plantation, the road visible behind it.

IMGP5442 - IMGP5444 Pano.jpg
Having climbed up Leitir Fhearna, the ridge towards Druim reidh and Toman Còinnich well visible. Sgùrr Breac to the left, A' Chailleach hardly visible to the left of Sròn na Goibhre (at least in this low image resolution).

IMGP5448 - IMGP5449 Pano.jpg
View from Sgùrr Breac: Toman Còinnich and Druim Reidh, behind are A' Chailleach and Sròn na Goibhre, An Teallach in the background centre right.

IMGP5456.JPG
An Teallach and a lingering patch of snow.

IMGP5460.JPG
Loch Toll an Lochain from the Bealach Toll an Lochain.

IMGP5463 - IMGP5465 Pano.jpg
Once more.

IMGP5466.JPG
The Fisherfield Munros. This walk also served as a sort of reconnaissance for my planned Fisherfield round.

IMGP5468 - IMGP5470 Pano.jpg
View from A' Chailleach back to Sgùrr Breach, Loch Fannich in the background. It was quite a lonely day - I met only one other person all day who said nothing but "hello".

IMGP5474 - IMGP5478 Pano.jpg
Loch a' Bhraoin and Loch Toll an Lochain

IMGP5482 - IMGP5485 Pano.jpg
Loch Toll an Lochain. There was a surprisingly big fish in the Allt na Goibhre.

IMGP5487.JPG
A waterfall in Allt na Goibhre

IMGP5490.JPG
The circular sheepfold, an excellent waymark.

The last section from the circular sheepfold back to the bridge at the head of Loch a' Bhraoin was really bad, it might have been wiser to take the track near the Loch shore, even if it is supposed to be quite boggy. The track through the plantation was rather a deep trench, in most places filled with water. The narrowest and longest lochan in all of Scotland, you could say. Next to the trench, going was difficult, trying not to hurt any of the tiny trees. For a plantation, there sure weren't many trees growing taller than half a metre or so.
A short distance before exiting the plantation, I stepped into a foot-sized, more than knee-deep hole. Afterwards, the hollow of my left knee hurt at certain angles of the left foot to the ground, which made me a bit anxious about the many miles to come in the follwoing days, especially the fisherfield round. Luckily, it got better quickly the next day.

2018-05-26 Wanderung_ACTIVE LOG095420_Grafik2D.jpg
Altitude profile created with GPS-Track-Analyse.NET 6
Attachments

2018-05-26 Sgurr Breac, A'Chailleach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

zatapathique
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:4
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:26   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland