walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghobhlach - again!

Beinn Ghobhlach - again!

Postby malky_c » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Ghobhlach

Date walked: 02/07/2018

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 760m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Beinn Ghobhlach.
Date: 02/07/2018.
Distance: 8.5 km.
Ascent: 760 m.
Time: 5 hours, 45 minutes.
Weather: Warm, slight breeze and clear.

Another day out on the hills with my parents beckoned, but where to? We were originally heading for Cul Mor, but mid-journey, I suggested Beinn Ghobhlach instead, as there were more options for mum if she didn't fancy coming all the way up. The temperature was down a little compared to Sunday, and there was a little more breeze as well, making for more pleasant walking conditions.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We all began walking together from Badrallach shortly after 2pm. The path out to Scoraig is very good and fairly level too. After rounding a corner, it was time to head up steeply towards Loch na h-Uidhe. This took a bit longer than expected as it was really steep!

Looking back on the path to Scoraig

Mum on the Scoraig path

Little Loch Broom

Mouth of Little Loch Broom

There was the faintest sign of a path up to the loch, but as the ground was really dry and a wildfire in recent years had reduced the vegetation, the underfoot conditions were good. On a sandstone slab overlooking the loch, we had a break, with clear views out to Lewis and Harris. At this point mum decided she would drop back to the coastal path and continue to Scoraig rather than going up Beinn Ghobhlach.

Beinn Ghobhlach from Loch na h-Uidhe

An Teallach and Sail Mhor

Dad and I crossed the normally wet area to the north of the loch and hit the west ridge. This was really steep, but there was plenty of interest in picking easy scrambling lines through the bands of rock. It didn't take too long to reach the summit.

Up the west ridge

Scoraig peninsula

Dad finding an optional scrambly bit

Sail Mhor and Loch na h-Uidhe

Out to sea

We had another break on top, from where there were impressive views to Assynt, Ullapool and Fisherfield, not to mention a great seascape. I suggested we go on to the next bump in the ridge as it had better views of Beinn Mhor Coigach.

An Teallach from Beinn Ghobhlach

South to the back of Torridon

Then it was down grassy slopes to Lochan a' Bhealaich. This was easy at first, becoming steeper and more heathery lower down.

Across Cnoc Bhaid-rallaich to the Fannaichs

Beinn Mhor Coigach from Beinn Ghobhlach

Beinn Mhor Coigach

Summer Isles

Rubha Mor and the Minch

Ullapool

Ben More Assynt and Loch Kanaird

Loch a’ Bhealaich and Cnoc Bhaid-rallaich

A quick stroll across the beach led us to another scrambly section onto the ridge west of Cnoc Bhaid-rallaich. Dad wasn't too bothered about this summit and I had been over it a couple of times before, so we skirted it to the west.

Beach on Loch a’ Bhealaich

Across the Rubha Mhor to Harris

From the western shoulder of Cnoc Bhaid-rallaich

Out to North Harris

Across Little Loch Broom

The slopes leading back to the road-end are a little on the rough side. Dad wasn't overly impressed with them but managed to stay on his feet. I left him to it.

Little Loch Broom and An Teallach

Little Loch Broom

Ardessie

Strath Beag

This hill always provides great entertainment for its low height, not to mention good views.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Beinn Ghobhlach - again!

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:53 pm

So many great hills in the North West - too many for me ever to get round them all...

Some nice pics there - I particularly like the one entitled "Rubha Mor and the Minch".
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Beinn Ghobhlach - again!

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:25 am

How often is it said that some of the lower hills make for the best viewpoints.
Certainly seems the case here making for a good circuit - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland