walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The B8004/5 didn't do me!!

The B8004/5 didn't do me!!

Postby Coop » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:05 am

Route description: Sgùrr na Cìche: 3 Munros from Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 07/07/2018

Time taken: 10.75 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1523m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

But the gulley Did!!
A cut head, couple of cut fingers, a dislocated thumb and a cut knee. An eventful descent after a fantastic day up top taking in these 3. Still can't fathom out what happened. Descended slowly on the loose gravelly bits on Sgurr na Ciche and got to the Beallach ok. Turned right and headed into the gulley. I was being careful and slow coming down the gulley and one of my legs stopped and I went for a tumble. I can only think that the strap on my gaiter got caught.
After I realised my thumb was sore and dislocated i realized I wouldn't be able to descend like this. Back into position it went - at the 2nd attempt. Some plasters and tape applied and get down - thinking to myself all the way Down- just get down slowly and in one piece. To the 2 lads who were ascending the gulley and enquired if I was ok as I was administering 1st aid - cheers lads.
To the couple i met later who thought it was a large cut on my head - it wasn't that bad. That was mostly dried blood. Cheers to you both and hope you had a good time if you went to Glenfinnan.

Now back to the walk. Turn right just before the wee hut and onto a path of sorts to the stream. Fill up time as theres no more water till the gulley on the descent. Steep ascent to Sgurr nan Coireachan; steep descent but following a wall all the way basically up onto the ridge; some rocky up and downs all the way to Garbh chioch Mhor still following the dyke. , steep decent, and up the gravelly slippy sonetimes rocky path to the summit of Sgurr na Ciche. The views from Sgurr na Ciche are out of this world. Wow factor. Over the lochs- knoydart, Skye, further north.
And then down carefully and slowly to the beallach.........
Reckon I'll be out of action and off the hills for a couple of weeks until my thumb is sorted.
Great day though just for the views

As the good book says " care needed in the gulley"

It could have been worse!!!!!!

Cheers

Ps drive slowly on the road - it ain't too bad. Just long and slow. Some places where there's no passing points for a while and a few blind summits all the way to the car park at the end of the Loch
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: The B8004/5 didn't do me!!

Postby Grisu » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Autsch! Not as lucky as me but still, as you said, it could have been worse.
Crazy how quickly these things can happen :shock:
I hope your thumb got well cured!
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland