walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The good weather spell has broken

The good weather spell has broken

Postby nickiec » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg, Innerwick, Glen Lyon

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 10/07/2018

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The fantastic weather of the last few weeks was continuing and I had decided to climb Ben Lawers and then do some wild camping before choosing another peak to climb in the area. The MWIS forecast was promising with cloud lifting during the day whereas other areas I had been considering were experiencing cloud and a little rain so Ben Lawers it was to be. All gear was looked out and ready. A quick look at the forecast that morning was alarming...rain was coming I. and far earlier than predicted...metcheck wasn't too promising :(. Driving up and through Lochearnhead there was rain (first in weeks!) and the cloud remained low. Arriving at the Ben Lawers car park I was somewhat despondent to see cloud right down and thick grey cloud at that. The cloud and rain weren't the issue, I wanted to see the view and after such fabulous weather this dind't look to be lifting any time soon. After a bit of pondering I headed off to Bridge of Balgie, not being able to enjoy the view given the low cloud. At that point I decided to have a walk up Being Dearg so parked up at Innerwick. The track up is straightforward and allow easy progress. By this point there was a fine drizzle and a waterproof was needed (haven't needed one of these for a few weeks now!). Once you clear the treeline there is a faint track to the bealach, boggy in places. You then pop out on to some stunted heather. Then there is some peat hag and bog to traverse. By this point I was losing interest as the cloud base had dropped and so on reaching the summit I decided to simply retrace my steps, descending out of the cloud and drizzle to the tree plantation. Looking around, the cloud base was down and most definitely not lifting. There was only one thing to do, return to Bridge of Balgie and visit the tearoom. A quick peak at the forecast revealed that the rain was coming in and in due course the windscreen wipers were once more in use. Wild camp abandoned.

An easyish walk if time is short or the cloud base is low, though a bit of navigation is required in poor visibility once on the open hill. I am imagining the stunning views!!
nickiec
Mountaineer

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland