walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 north Drumochter munros west of A9

2 north Drumochter munros west of A9

Postby gld73 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 29/10/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stopped to do these on drive home from Edinburgh, nice way to break the journey. Saw a handful of other people in total during the day. Did Geal-charn first, though the Cairn I could see was the summit then realised it was still a fair bit further on. Nice walk over to A' Mharconaich next; if I'd been organised or had longer to do the walk, I'd have done the other 2 munros on this side of the A9 at the same time whilst I was along the ridge, but will have to do them another time I'm heading up/down to Edinburgh.
Odd place for a wee bridge over the burn after the descent down the nose of A' Mharconaich - absolutely no path on either side. Might have been better following the trodden route and crossing lower down rather than wading through vegetation aiming for the stand alone bridge.
Still, a nice walk, not the toughest way to bag a couple of munros.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland