walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an Lochain

Beinn an Lochain

Postby cjwaugh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:28 am

Route description: Beinn an Lochain

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Lochain

Date walked: 29/03/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday 38/03/09 9.30am
Parked the van at the car park just after the hill loch past the rest and be thankful on the A83 in good clear weather albeit windy.
Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 001.jpg

Crossing the burn just below the car park proved tricky there was a lot of water that day .We then continued to follow the path through a short boggy section and on to the hill which starts of fairly steep but has good views back down the A83
Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 002.jpg

Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 003.jpg

From here the path is pretty eroded and easy to follow but very steep with even some hands on sections until you get to a short Plato and the first view of the top
Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 008.jpg

From here you can see right down to Loch Fine
Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 009.jpg

Continuing on the path again gets steep ,on the day getting icier the higher we got in the next picture you can make out the path traversing around to the right
Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 011.jpg

Fast way down anyone :lol:
Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 012.jpg

Traversing around the hill proved very difficult due to the snow and ice higher up we got to a section only a few hundred feet from the top but it was snow corniest and icy with hands and feet climbing and yes you guessed it we didn't have our crampons or ice axes and the wind was really fierce at this point so we dropped down to a large crag for shelter and something to eat and left the top for another visit
Beinn an Lochain 28.03.09 014.jpg

This is a great little hill which is buy far the most hands and feat stuff I've down so far it just shows you don't need a munro to have a good climb in fact in many ways this was one of the best walks I've had this year so far :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Re: Beinn an Lochain

Postby walker1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:29 pm

I've often admired this craggy hill while passing through the rest & be thankful, your report will has certainly motivated me to stop next time and give it a go... Shame you never got to the top, better safe than sorry!

Another good report :D
walker1

Munros:110   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:28

Postby bigbertie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:38 pm

cjwaugh - as you say, you don't need a Munro to have a good climb. But if are ticking the 1964 tables Beinn an Lochain is listed as a Munro with a height (from memory) of 3021 ft. Sir Hugh's altimeter must have been having an off day.

EDIT - I've just looked at the walk description and it does mention the Munro thing - sorry for duplication. It's a good walk anyway.

EDIT AGAIN - and it's the 1969 tables, not the 1964. I shouldn't post after a bottle of wine!
bigbertie

Postby cjwaugh » Tue May 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Just an update for this report returned to do this hill 25/05/09 and completed it in complete cloud cover however this truly is well worth doing after turning back the last time we continued on to the summit and were rewarded with more climbing and narrow ridges thoroughly recommended :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby 37lumleyst » Tue May 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Great report, I especially like the picture's when you are nearing the summit.

cjwaugh wrote:This is a great little hill which is buy far the most hands and feat stuff I've down so far it just shows you don't need a munro to have a good climb in fact in many ways this was one of the best walks I've had this year so far

It really does show you don’t need a Munro to have a good day in the hills.
37lumleyst

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:56   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland