walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEINN NARNAIN..SU-PER SU-NDAY

BEINN NARNAIN..SU-PER SU-NDAY

Postby Jockstar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:57 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 11/11/2010

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 926m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We met stretch in Perth after he had given us the call that he was going to Arrochar to tackle Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime in the Arrochar Alps. This was new ground for myself and Su (AKA Mrs Jockstar), so was excited to see what the Lomond area was like for climbing. As I had been told these hills go straight up from the shore line, in this case. Loch Long and Gammy leg walker who had met us at the car park opposite the path up, didn’t disappoint, by leading the way up a small rocky stream. This was the ‘old’ path and was vertical from the off. :(

P1000391.JPG
Up the hill following the old hydro electric concete bases

The new path is further along the road and meanders up the initial climb. We made steady progress and the views of Arrochar and Ben Lomond quickly came into view. It was pretty hard going but Stretch and GLW led the way and as we were soon seeing Ben Lomond in all its majesty. Stunning ! :D

P1000395.JPG
Su climbimg up with Arrochar below

P1000398.JPG
Ben Lomond

GLW’s spaniels were having a great time though never leaving his side at any point during the walk. After a couple of small scrambles where the ice was a wee bit of an issue we reached a plateau and there to our left was The Cobbler.

P1000401.JPG
Strech and Gammy leg Walker on the plateau before The Cobbler

P1000408.JPG
The Cobbler

Not having seen it other than in photographs, I was staggered by the presence and sight of this granite that nature had sculptured out of the hill.It is an impressive sight and one of those where you can’t take your eye of it. It draws you to it as if it has a hypnotic effect. Eye of the needle…not today though! :shock:

At this height we could also see Loch Long whose name suggests just that, as it seemed to go on forever into the distance.

P1000407.JPG
Loch Long

So we went on and as we got further up the hill the climbs were getting abit more interesting and scrambling up to the next level was great fun Even Suhowfar was beginning to enjoy these wee challenges.

P1000412.JPG
Strech looking down at the scramble

We were now at a height where Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich were seen to be prominent to the north and also Beinn Ime was looking impressive in the autumn weather. There was quite a bit of frost and nearer to the summits snow was lying. though not deep enough to trouble us. Altogether Arrochar is a very impressive place that has raw beauty.

P1000413.JPG
Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich to the north

So we climbed onwards to the top and then came to the Spearhead. This is an awesome sight that at this height was looking like something from a Doctor Who set as the frost gave it an eerie look

P1000415.JPG
The Spearhead

. For us the adventure was beginning to heat up as we had to make a couple of small scrambles along narrowing paths all covered in frost. Sound footing was required. We then reached the part of the climb resembling a chimney and we had to raise our game to get to the top and out onto the summit. Apart from a pull up from Stretch at one point Su did the rest brilliantly and was elated by her achievements and the fears of the Stob Ghabhar AE walk were beginning to diminish.

P1000417.JPG
Su on the scramble

P1000418.JPG
Towards the 'chimney' climb

We all walked to the trig point using GPS to establish that this was the top. :D

P1000420.JPG
Trig point and summit

P1000422.JPG
Mr and Mrs Jockstar at the trig point

Due to the conditions we quickly took the photos and then headed down the boulder field. This proved troublesome because of the snow lying and sure footing was essential to prevent any injury. The way down the hill towards the bealach was also treacherous and was a bit unnerving as we slid a couple of times. I had seen that GLW and Stretch had already made it down but some running repairs were needed on Su’s gaiters and tying knots wasn’t easy with frozen hands. On reaching Stretch and GLW we had a small discussion which resulted in us making the decision to call it a day and head down the hill. Although this was disappointing I felt that this was the only real option as we were going to be beaten by the lack of daylight. So for the second time in the weekend we had to bow to sense and but my heart I knew we were not going to be able to get up to Beinn Ime today…..but there is always another day!

P1000423.JPG
Beinn Ime - still there for anther day!

So we headed around Bein Narnain along the path which took us even nearer to the Cobbler and that looked like something from Mordor. :shock:

There were people still climbing and walking up the hill. Some in Trainers and others as if they were having a Sunday stroll!!! :crazy: For me it was good to get down and know that we had achieved a great climb and would know that we could come back some day soon and do Beinn Ime by reversing our route down the hill. The guys were very gracious with the decision and I enjoyed their company immensely. :D
Attachments
P1000426.JPG
passing the Cobbler on the way back down..more like Mordor !
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: BEINN NARNAIN..SU-PER SU-NDAY

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Nice report jockstar glad you enjoyed your day,I know me and stretch enjoyed the company :D :D
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 pm

NIce report Jockstar but su's is better :lol: :lol: :lol: Great set of pictures. Love the one of you with the cobbler in the background :wink:
monty

Postby Jockstar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:59 am

Su's is far better...she told me so :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland