walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime - East ridge again

Beinn Ime - East ridge again

Postby weedavie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 10/07/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I tried once before to describe Beinn Ime's east ridge which is definitely the quiet way up. So this time I took a camera. Unfortunately I got what seems like the onlt wet day in living memory. The time, distance and height I've given are for the climb. The cycle from Arrochar station adds about 30k and 1000 metres. I hadn't checked that.

The track through Succoth is forestry and consequently a bit dull. It's also quite undulating and deposits you at 300 metres so I was going to return down Glen Loin which is just a path but prettier and less climbing. Anyway the track does give you your first view of the ridge which looks rugged.
pic 1 590.jpg

I followed the burn into the Lag Uaine then struck off for the ridge.
pic 2 590.jpg

It's a succession of crags and you've got to decide left right or over, with absolutely no paths to help, though at some of the steeper, narrower bits you can tell feet have been driven together to kind of start a staircase. Looking back you wonder why you're fussing but I've always thought these crags would be my nightmare in a white-out.
pic 3 590.jpg

Nothing's too difficult or unavoidable till you get to the notch, where an intimidating tower blocks the ridge. Storer describes this as an easy scramble "but exposure and greasy rock may make it seem harder." Quite, but I've helped a casualty away from it so no thanks. It was raining so this is the best image I could manage.
pic 4 590.jpg

Instead I dropped about 50 metres to bypass the tower.
pic 5 590.jpg

And that left my way clear to the east shoulder and an amble to the summit.
pic 6 590.jpg

This had all taken far longer than I expected so I was skipping Beinn Narnain with my train time and a pint in mind. The decision to go back through Glen Loin was a bit fraught. The Coiregrogain road is surfaced with rubble and downhill sections had to be slow and controlled. The path down Glen Loin is fast at times but at others is steep and rough. I had one slow crash into a bush, fortunately not jaggy. Back to Arrochar and 20 minutes to the train - no time to get to the Village Inn for a pint. I tried the village shop - it stocked crap lager and Buckie, so I bought fizzy water and agreed with the guy at the till that stocking Fyne Ales could up his revenue.

Beinn Ime east ridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

weedavie
Mountain Walker

Re: Beinn Ime - East ridge again

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Always interesting to see another way up. Shame about the weather and lack of pub time.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland