walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First solo hike up dreich Ben Lomond

First solo hike up dreich Ben Lomond

Postby LailaQuiche » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:22 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 09/05/2018

Time taken: 3.78 hours

Distance: 12.7 km

Ascent: 989m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the munro bug rushing through my veins I was itching to get up another one. None of my friends were available that week so I decided to attempt one alone. I chose Ben Lomond as, from what I had read, it has a very clear, distinct route which is virtually impossible to get lost on (though it wouldn't have surprised me if I had somehow found a way!)
I arrived at the car park and already needed a bit of guidance from some fellow hikers on which direction to start....embarrassing! But once on the track, I could see how clear the path was all the way up.
First hour of the walk I found gruelling, as always. I always find it difficult to motivate myself for the initial part, especially when it's a monotonous path. After lots of mini stops, I had a banana and then got into the swing of things. As I ascended the cloud descended and it wasn't long before I couldn't see a thing. As I neared the summit it as blowing a hoolie and I had icy shards of rain piercing my face....delightful. It was strangely calm at the top and couldn't see a thing due to the thick cloud. A kind German couple at the top offered to take a photo. The weather was so miserable, I didn't bother to eat my pieces at the top and powered back down. A nice man who was heading up stopped to give me some wasabi peanuts...a nice spicy kick in the freezing cold! I find it so much easier to descend now that I have hiking poles and practically jogged all the way down.
I was absolutely drenched through by the time I got back to the car. Luckily I had some dry joggers and trainers change into. Scranned my pieces in the car and then headed home for a lovely hot shower.
All in all, despite the miserable weathers and non-existent views, I quite enjoyed this solo jaunt. It was rather therapeutic. :wink:
Attachments
32169583_10160305179760023_4034266534934216704_n.jpg
Stunning views
LailaQuiche

Munros:70   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: First solo hike up dreich Ben Lomond

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Congratulations for "double First": First solo hike & first report :clap: :clap: Well done to keeping going and get the summit in the bad weather :thumbup:
Keep going and reporting ! :D 8) :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Well done :thumbup: If you're happy going on your own, it makes things so much more flexible as you don't need to stick to prearranged plans. Interestingly most of my hills have been solo but have been up Ben Lomond four times each time with a friend or relative - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby LailaQuiche » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am

rockhopper wrote:Well done :thumbup: If you're happy going on your own, it makes things so much more flexible as you don't need to stick to prearranged plans. Interestingly most of my hills have been solo but have been up Ben Lomond four times each time with a friend or relative - cheers :)

It's good to know I can do it if needs be. Though I do enjoy having company. I often find the more I need to motivate someone else, the easier it is for me to power up! Funny that!
LailaQuiche

Postby LailaQuiche » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am

Petr Dakota wrote:Congratulations for "double First": First solo hike & first report :clap: :clap: Well done to keeping going and get the summit in the bad weather :thumbup:
Keep going and reporting ! :D 8) :wink:

Thank you!! :D It was still enjoyable, despite the rubbish weather. Beggars can't be choosers in Scotland!
LailaQuiche

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland