walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Roamin' in the Ghlo..

Roamin' in the Ghlo..

Postby Jokester » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 23/06/2018

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 22.46 km

Ascent: 1239m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Darn it, someone has beaten me to the title.

It was a busy day, the car park was full when I got there, resorting to have to park on the grass bank further back along the road, but no hardship.

ImageIMG_0379 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Loch Moraig

At first I wasn't too sure if I had taken the right track, but eventually there's an obvious left turn at a shed that takes you over a fence and a bit of boggy looking ground (thankfully easy traversed in the dry conditions at the moment) before reach the obvious path up the first Munro, Carn Liath. There looks like there's been a lot of work on going here to repair the erosion of the thousands of pairs of feet that must pound their way up and the first part of the climb is over boulder steps but eventually you leave these behind and are back onto the eroded track which is made up of loose gravel and small stones so not the easiest to climb the steep hillside on.

ImageIMG_0381 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

The track eased up though just below the summit and it wasn't far to the trig point and summit cairn just beyond it.

ImageIMG_0382 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0385 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
The next two Munros

After a wee breather and a chat with a couple of other hikers it was off the path to the next top.

ImageIMG_0389 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back at a big group on the top of Carn Liath

ImageIMG_0390 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back at the wavy ridge line

ImageIMG_0393 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Summit of Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain with Carn nan Gabhar in the background

ImageIMG_0398 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Just about down to the bealach

ImageIMG_0404 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back to the trig point from the summit cairn, could catch some people out!

Something I didn't appreciate about these Munros is just how could a view from the summit there would be, looking round on a fine day you can see every notable summit in the area surrounding Beinn a' Ghlo.

ImageIMG_0405 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Lochnagar and surrounding Munros

ImageIMG_0407 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Ben Macdui, Cairn Toul and surrounding Munros

ImageIMG_0408 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Beinn Mheadhoin, Beinn a' Chaorainn and Beinn a' Bhuird

ImageIMG_0409 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Lawers group and Schiehallion

After admiring the views and having a rest for a bit the summit started getting busy as the big group I had seen looking back at Carn Liath had caught up with me, time to head off and re-trace my steps back down to the bealach.

ImageIMG_0410 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
At first the path down off from the bealach was faint and would have been fairly boggy I suspect in wetter conditions and cut back and forth across the stream a couple of times before reaching a more well maintained path.

ImageIMG_0412 by matthew_chalmers, on Flickr
Looking back.

Thoroughly enjoyed this walk, though the 3 Munros themselves are routine hikes the views from the summits on clear days are fantastic.
Attachments

Track 030.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jokester
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland