walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Oxen Craig 0 Bennachie by the Gordon Way

The Oxen Craig 0 Bennachie by the Gordon Way

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bennachie (Oxen Craig)

Date walked: 17/07/2018

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 500m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Harveys walk day. GordonC was also up for it. I'd been up Oxen Craig many many years ago with my oldest son Donald, so now I was ready to re-aquaint myself with it. I decided to follow the Gordon Way ( GW ) from Towhill in the NW.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There was nowhere to park at the start of the GW, so we drove a wee bit further up the road ~200m, to the road end to Towhill Farm, where a wee area had been fashioned out to allow turning etc from the surrounding fields. We managed to tuck ourselves out of the way and walk back down the road to the start of the GW. The first thing we saw was a notice declaring that the path was not maintained. A couple of wee rickety bridges festooned with CYA notices were soon negotiated and we plunged on up the path.

CYA Warning notice on Gordon Way near B992.JPG
CYA warning notice on the Gordon Way near the B992

Style for Gordon Way off the  B992.JPG
Style for the Gordon Way off the B992

Gordon B on the Gordon way near B992..JPG
GordonB on the Gordon Way near the B992

The District Council were true to their word and the lower part of the GW was pretty overgrown and tricky to follow.
Couldn't help thinking that a party of inmates from HMP Grampian with their balls and chains, armed with strimmers could've cleared the way easily in a day and given them some fresh air !

Harvey in the less overgrown bits of the path..jpg
Harvey on a less overgrown part of the path

I guess that would impinge on their human rights though, so we waded on up to where a marker post directed us up towards Corrie hill and a viewpoint that had been equipt with benches.

View with a seat.jpg
A view with a seat

From there we headed up alongside some forestry where - OMG - it started raining - yes real rain ! GordonC stopped to make aquaintance with his waterproofs which were buried at the butttom of his sack after months hiding from the sunny weather. Luckily, the path at this point passed under the overhanging conifers which offered some cover from the rain, But eventually I had to relent and put my jacket on.

The path up by the wood.jpg
The path up by the wood

The rain petered out as we reached the tracks taking us up past the Hermits Seat. A path branching off the GW took us a shorter route up behind the Watch Crag.

The GW path emerges on to a dangerous track.jpg
The GW emerges onto a dangerous track

The turnoff from the GW up to Watch Craig.jpg
The turnoff from the GW up to Watch Craig

The Gordon Way heading off into the distance across Bennachie.jpg
The Gordon Way heading off into the distance across Bennachie

By this time we could see our goal - Oxen Craig. A path took us down to the bealach passed a very healthy looking larch resembling a witches hat - albeit a bit big for Maggie Smith then up the final slope to Oxen Craig.

A witches hat  Larch on the way across to Oxen Craig.jpg
A healthy witches hat Larch on the way to Oxen Craig from Watch Craig

We luxuriated at the top marvelling at the sunny north contrasting with the murky south. Usually it's the other way round

The cairn of Oxen Craig.jpg
The cairn of Oxen Craig

GordonC checking the indicator cairn.jpg
GordonC checking the indicator cairn

Oxen Craigs cairn  Indicator plaque.jpg
The Oxen Craig indicator plaque

A few whisps of cloud touched the summit of the Mither Tap across the way and eventually it started to waft around our top.

Clag dusting the Mither Tap.jpg
Clag dusting the Mither Tap

During our piece, we mused over the chiselled incription on a nearby rock - " 1947 R QUEEN ". Also a strange rectangular trough hewn out of a summit rock between the two cairns.

Strange trough on top of Oxen Craig.jpg
Strange trough on the top of Oxen Craig

We headed back over to Watch Craig, taking in the top this time, then picked up a path across to the Hermits Seat. Another path took us from the Hermits Seat back down to the GW , which we followed, retracing our upward route to the road.

A Gordon Way Marker post.jpg
A Gordon Way marker post

Harebells on the Gordon Way.jpg
Harebells on the Gordon Way

If anyone else follows this route in damp weather, I'd suggest that they don waterproofs for the first part of the walk. We were pretty wet when we got back to the road after the rain, ploughing through all the long grass, broom and prickly whins ! Nonetheless, a great day out and glad to renew our acquaintence with Oxen Craig.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: The Oxen Craig 0 Bennachie by the Gordon Way

Postby achie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks for the excellent walk report. Did the whole Gordon Way yesterday (18th August 2018) and agree with your points about lack of maintenance. The problem section is mainly either side of your start-point and would take very little effort to fix. I will try and write up our walk but would be keen to generate some momentum around re-adopting the Gordon Way. Even better to get the route extended eastwards to Rhynie so that it has a village to start/finish at.
achie
Mountaineer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland