walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summit camp on Suilven and some more Assynt goodness

Summit camp on Suilven and some more Assynt goodness

Postby malky_c » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Fionas included on this walk: Suilven

Date walked: 06/07/2018

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 35 km

Ascent: 2170m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Spidean Coinich, Sail Ghorm, Sail Gharbh.
Grahams: Suilven.
Date: 04-06/07/2018.
Distance: 22 km + 13km.
Ascent: 1030m + 1150m.
Time: 6 hours, 30 minutes + 6 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Warm on Suilven, then windy and intermittently claggy, varied on Quinaig (warm, sunny, overcast, breezy at various times).

I'm getting a bit behind on walk reports due to erm...walking! I'd been talking with Jackie about getting out on the hills somewhere for a couple of months now, and she was up in Assynt for a week. Seemed like something would be possible as I was mostly off work as well. What to do though? Unsurprisingly we both suggested a summit camp on Suilven so that seemed like a good bet - not too much of a worry about whether the weather would be any good just now, as it was pretty much set to be perfect for the next few days. Jackie's report will be better (no phone snaps for a start!), but since that could be a while off, you'll need to make do with mine in the meantime.

Suilven.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We met up at the Glencanisp car park at around 5:30pm, and set off reasonably promptly, battling clegs the whole way. I've never been into Suilven from this direction so it was nice to see what the walk-in looked like. It's a pretty good beginning, with both Suilven and Canisp looming over for much of the walk. The track is pretty good, although there are a few ups and downs.

Canisp and Suilven from near Glencanisp Lodge

Approaching Suilven

After 90 minutes or so, it was time to go upwards properly. Lower down, the path had been upgraded well (in fact we'd passed some of the workers walking out a short while earlier), but they hadn't reached the final steep ascent up the northern flank yet. At least it was dry!

Looking back down the ascent route

After a steep and sweaty ascent, we were on the ridge, with a refreshing breeze hitting us from the other side. Although there is another 130m of ascent from this point, it feels like you are just about there. And it was brightening up from a slightly grey afternoon. Who could ask for more? 8)

Quinaig from Suilven

Looking SW

Jackie on the summit ridge

Looking NW - almost there

Since it looked like there would be a decent sunset, we decided to pitch up on the summit area rather than one of the various tempting flat areas further east. 8:30 pm and it was looking good, if a little breezy at times.

Cul Mor

Canisp

NW across Achmelvich

I hadn't bothered with my stove - just some cold food to eat, so I went for a wander down the nose while Jackie made her dinner. I was curious how far down it was possible to get before it became climbing territory - turns out a good 100m down. Then it was back to the summit and tents to watch the sun set. While it wasn't the most dramatic sunset, the entire situation was pretty damn good 8) .

Cul Mor from Suilven

Beinn Mhor Coigach

Back to Meall Meadhonach

Sun getting a bit lower

Quinaig

Canisp

Quinaig again

NW from Suilven

Quinaig and Point of Stoer

Canisp from the top

Summit camp

Cul Mor, Cul Beag and Beinn Mhor Coigach

Getting there....

...nearly...

...almost...

...dammit, low cloud on the horizon spoiled the final dip into the sea

NW to Stoer

At around 11:30 pm, it was still pretty light, but a few wisps of cloud suddenly blew over the summit. It was pretty impressive for a few minutes, then the view went. Time for bed, as some wind and rain was forecast overnight.

Cloud suddenly moved in

It certainly was pretty windy - I struggled to sleep much with all the flapping, until it shifted around a bit and began to hit a different aspect of the tent - slightly quieter. Some rain too, with dawn passed in the clag, so I didn't bother getting up properly until after 8 am. Which one of us was going to admit that it was a bit windier than we expected first? We both agreed it had been a bit stronger than expected, probably gusting up to 35 mph a couple of times. When I finally got up, there was cloud scudding across the summit, but views in some directions.

After a claggy dawn, things got pretty good again

Cul Mor

Campsite

It didn't take long to warm up nicely, and surprisingly only 30 minutes later, the first walkers of the day appeared. We somehow ended up whiling away another 4 hours up here, not leaving the summit until after midday. Might as well get your money's worth when it's like this!

Only took about 50 shots like this...

Canisp

Basically just a massive rucksack with legs

Finally we headed down, passing at least half-a-dozen folk on the way up. The steep descent was a bit of a slither, but didn't last too long, and the path out to the lodge seemed to have changed to include way more uphill on the way out than we remembered :lol: . We took a quick look in Suileag bothy on the way past - still haven't stayed here despite my best intentions.

Suileag bothy

Looking back to Suilven

Last look

We were back at the cars for 4pm, and it was warm again. Far too nice to leave Assynt really, so what to do? I didn't really have anywhere particular to be for a couple of days so we decided to camp out at Achmelvich via a visit to the pie shop, then go around Quinaig the next day.

Achmelvich Bay

Achmelvich Bay

Camping at Achmelvich

We'd found a great pitch away from the main beach and campsite at Achmelvich, and I got a much better sleep than on top of Suilven. Feeling refreshed, it was time to head for Quinaig. We didn't exactly make an early start - it was probably 11 by the time we got moving. Although there was some cloud around, it was set to clear up as the day went on.

Quinaig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Heading up Spidean Coinich

The early part of the route after Spidean Coinich is the most scrambly, but there isn't anything difficult. On my previous visit I had been in and out of the cloud, so it was nice to get uninterrupted views this time. We had rather a long lunch break on point 745.

Back to Conival

Gully on Spidean Coinich

Sail Garbh from Spidean Coinich

Onward to Sail Gorm

On the summit of Spidean Coinich

Then it was on to Sail Gorm. I had been looking at a route up this from the north to avoid the out-and-back, but that was something for a less lazy day. Another hour was whiled away on Sail Gorm, lovely warm patches of weather being interspersed with a surprisingly vicious breeze at times.

Looking back to the Spidean Coinich summit crag

Spidean Coinich and Lochan Bealach Cornaidh

Out to Stoer

Ben Stack and Foinaven

Bathaich Cuinneige

Kylesku bridge

Finally it was time to retrace steps to near point 745 and head up onto Sail Garbh. We were certainly dragging this out!

Kylesku and Loch a’ Chairn Bhain

Spidean Coinich from Sail Garbh

Spidean Coinich

Then down into the corrie containing Lochan Bealach Cornaidh, which has a pretty good path. Can't remember if all of it was there last time.

Lochan Bealach Cornaidh

Spidean Coinich and Lochan Bealach Cornaidh

Finally time to head home, a good day later than planned. Cheers Jackie for an enjoyable couple of days on the hill 8) .

Suilven from the Lairg road
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Summit camp on Suilven and some more Assynt goodness

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Simply fantastic. These hills deserve more than one visit :D I might get tempted...

I think that path down to Lochan Bealach Cornaidh was improved hugely by NTS, I remember they were working on it when we visited Quinaig a few years back.

BTW you're not the only one to be badly behind with reports! I have no less than 13 stories to write :shock:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby larry groo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Aye fine pics there loon.

:clap:
larry groo

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 pm

That did indeed look pretty dam good! And it is great when the weather is good you don’t want to go home, then realise you dont have too :D
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Not too shabby, I guess :wink: :wink: Nope, not in the slightest bit envious :wink: ...

....well actually...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 pm

That's as stunning a set of pics as I've seen in a long while! What a truly other-worldly place!

So Assynt has now moved from joint top to absolute top position on the "to do" list. With all the travel distance, I may be looking to combine one or two of the hills, but a summit camp on Suilven looks an unavoidable must (a pic of Suilven got me back into hills in a more focussed way in the late 90s).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Incredible photo's there Malky, you got some incredible light while there! :clap: :clap:

I can't wait until I visit Assynt, every report from there makes me want to go sooner! :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland