walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Western Mamores

Western Mamores

Postby withypitts » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 07/06/2018

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1155m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The previous day I had looked down on the magnificent Mamores from Ben Nevis, so it was obvious that they should provide my destination for another fine day's walking. Parking in Glen Nevis near the Polldubh Falls, I had a quick look down at the waterfall before heading south into the Coire a'Mhusgain.

IMG_3256.jpg

The walk up the corrie above the Allt Coire a'Mhusgain was delightful, with a good path through mixed vegetation. The top of the corrie was in view from the outset.

IMG_3257.JPG

Height was gained rapidly, with helpful zigzags on the steepest sections, and the jagged outline of Stob Ban began to emerge on the skyline.

IMG_3258.JPG

The contorted rock formations could soon be observed at closer quarters.

IMG_3259.JPG

And on the steep approach to the bealach, the full splendour of Stob Ban's dramatic cliffs was revealed.

IMG_3260.JPG

On reaching the bealach, Sgor an Iubhair stood out to the east.

IMG_3261.JPG

In the opposite direction, my route would follow the steep approach to Stob Ban.

IMG_3262.JPG

The walk up from the bealach provided plenty of opportunity to admire the rugged grandeur of the mountain.

IMG_3264.JPG

Sgurr a'Mhaim now dominated the view to the north-east.

IMG_3265.JPG

The quartzite rocks of Stob Ban were a mixture of grey and dazzling white in the sunshine. In the dry conditions the rock was not slippery but felt light and crunchy underfoot.

IMG_3266.JPG

Throughout the walk Ben Nevis loomed on the other side of its Glen.

IMG_3267.JPG

On approaching the summit, the view eastwards across the range was fabulous, with Sgor an Iubhair dominating the foreground.

IMG_3269.JPG

From the summit, I could gaze down on the path I had taken along the corrie.

IMG_3269a.jpg

I also had a first sight of the superb ridge that was to form the next part of my walk, towards Mullach nan Coirean.

IMG_3270.JPG

An impressive cairn at a minor summit on the ridge had an even more impressive backdrop - Bidean nam Bian.

IMG_3273.JPG

Here the quartzite had been left behind, and the rocks were now pink granite.

IMG_3274.JPG

Despite the steep appearance, the walk along the ridge was straightforward in the dry, almost windless conditions.

IMG_3275.JPG

The contract between the pink ridge and the white of Stob Ban was very striking, particularly when the sun shone on the quartzite.

IMG_3276.JPG

The final approach to Mullach nan Coirean was on pleasant grassy slopes.

IMG_3277.JPG

From the summit, Loch Linnhe stretched away to the south.

IMG_3280.JPG

Now the view back across the Mamores was dominated by Sgurr a'Mhaim on the left.

IMG_3280a.jpg

The twin peaks of Beinn a'Bheithir looked very fine on the other side of Loch Leven.

IMG_3282.JPG

On the descent the pink granite ridge was seen to fine effect, with Stob Ban just poking out behind.

IMG_3283.JPG

The path along the Coire Riabhach became increasingly steep and rough as it followed a fence downwards. Fortunately for me, there was very little bogginess to contend with today.

IMG_3284.JPG

The path approached Glen Nevis though a felled area of forestry, but for some reason, a few spindly trunks had been left standing.

IMG_3284a.jpg

At this point there was a rumble of thunder from the direction of Fort William, so I decided to quicken my pace for the last section of the walk. As it turned out, after a superb and completely dry day in the hills, I found myself driving through a downpour within a few minutes of leaving the car park.
withypitts
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:13
Fionas:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:170
Wainwrights:96   

Re: Western Mamores

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Superb report and pics, after getting a brilliant view of Stob Ban and Sgurr a'Mhaim from the big and wee Buachaille's this month i'm well looking forward to exploring the Mamores. Stob Ban looks just as impressive close up as it does from a distance, perhaps even more so! :clap:

Good idea getting off the hill at the first sound of thunder, we got chased of Meall an t-Seallaidh last month by a massive thunder and lightning storm, it's not enjoyable racing downhill in fear of your life! :crazy:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland