walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Rinnes on a summers' day

Ben Rinnes on a summers' day

Postby Drum_star_606 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 18/07/2018

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 831m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my second climb of Ben Rinnes, the first being some years ago and was a bit rushed so this time was more organised. My grandfather grew up in the village of Edinvillie, "at the fit o' the Ben" as he used to describe it, and so this area is special to me.

Arriving at the small parking area as set out in the walk description, there was one last space for me to park although others were simply parking up at the roadside...
rsz_p1020647.jpg

I set off and followed the route as per the description. It was a dry, warm day and the skies were a bit grey but didn't look like it would rain. A few early thunder rumbles came to nothing and the walk continued. The first part of the walk was loose gravel with a moderate climb rate and already some nice views can be had. Now the ascent to the summit comes into view

rsz_p1020628.jpg

As I ascended, I passed a number of people who were on their way back down - mainly tourists but a few locals out exercising or dog walking. I have to say that a few people actually overtook me on my ascent, this is largely due to me being hugely unfit and having to stop to catch my breath on several occasions! The determination to keep going grew and as I neared the top, the views out over Moray and Aberdeenshire became more impressive. I finally reached the summit with it's prominent white painted trig point atop the granite tor some 1.5 hours after setting off and after some refreshments, my curiosity got the better of me and I set off NW after seeing other granite tors in this direction. This proved to be fruitless, as I discovered, soon realising that it would be near impossible to reach them as they are separated by a large gulley so I returned to the main summit to take some photographs before beginning my descent. By now, the sun had came out to enhance the picture quality, and it was still reasonably warm.

rsz_p1020642.jpg

Returning via same route I took to ascend, I was still passing groups of tourists making their way up in late afternoon. The steep descent of the main hill itself ensured my muscles got a good stretch out and approximately 3.5 hours after setting off from the start point, I arrived back there once again.
All in all, a very enjoyable walk at this time of year which is very popular by locals and tourists alike. Next time, I hope I'll be able to have a dram for my Grandad at the top.
Drum_star_606
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Ben Rinnes on a summers' day

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:40 am

A fine leg stretcher, and great views, but its a shame you didn't go over to the Tors, its one of the best features on Rinnes, and an easy stroll, I've been up it many times and no recollection of a large gulley :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby AHillTooFar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:43 pm

A shame you did not visit the Tors. I think the gulley was the peat hags(?) that populate the slope. Been a couple of years since I was there but I have a photo of a hare which I think shows what you refer to. Also some photos of the Tors.

AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Drum_star_606 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:38 pm

spiderwebb wrote:A fine leg stretcher, and great views, but its a shame you didn't go over to the Tors, its one of the best features on Rinnes, and an easy stroll, I've been up it many times and no recollection of a large gulley :D

Yes, with hindsight I looked at this completely wrong. I noticed this on the way down. Still, I can always head this way the next time I'm back up there :)
Drum_star_606
Mountaineer

Postby Drum_star_606 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:40 pm

AHillTooFar wrote:A shame you did not visit the Tors. I think the gulley was the peat hags(?) that populate the slope. Been a couple of years since I was there but I have a photo of a hare which I think shows what you refer to. Also some photos of the Tors.

Yes, I realise now I had viewed that wrong. I'll have a wander over the next time I'm there :)
Drum_star_606
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland